1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann Sum series problem

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1

For what values of p>0 does the series

Riemann Sum [n=1 to infinity] 1/ [n(ln n) (ln(ln n))^p]

converge and for what values does it diverge?

How do i do this question? Would somebody please kindly show me the steps? Do i use the intergral test?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Try bounding it by the series 1/n^(1+e), e>0. Note these sums get arbitrarily large as e->0.

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3

it is actually a example question, my instructor said that it is divergent for all p, but i don't get it because actually i didn't copy all of the notes. Do you mind explaining it to me?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Oh, actually the integral test does work. You can do it nicely with a substitution. Also, be careful with the first two terms. ln(ln(1))=-infinity and ln(1)=0, so the first term isn't well defined, but even if you take the limit it blows up. And ln(ln(2)) is negative, and so can't be raised to the pth power in a well defined way. I would assume the series is supposed to start at n=3.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?