1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann sums

1. Feb 10, 2006 #1
    Ok, so I have two questions regarding something I don't understand in my textbook (Adams)

0 if 0<=x<1 or 1<x<=2
    f(x) = 1 if x=1

(by "<=" i mean less than or equal)

I'm supposed to show that it is Riemann integrable on that interval.
    They chose P to be: {0, 1-e/3, 1+e/3,2}
    L(f,P)=0 (I think I understand this, its just the sum of zero?)

They then get U(f,p)= 0(1-e/3) +1(2e/3) +0(2-(1+e/3))=2e/3 <-- I have no idea how they get this!

And how do they chose that specific partition?

(I get that f is integrable since U(f,P)-L(f,P)=2e/3<e
    (I've used e as epsilon :P)

Question 2:
    1 if x is rational
    f(x)= 0 if x is irrational

I have no idea how they get L(f,P) to be 0 and U(f,P) to be 1!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They chose that specific partition so that the "odd point" x= 1 where f(1)= 1 is in a very small interval. The fact is that 0 to 1-e, 1-e to 1+e, 1+e to 2 (e= epsilon some very small number) would have worked just as well.
    The interval from 0 to 1- e/3 has length 1- e/3, the highest and lowest values of f are both 0 since f is identically equal to 0. That product (the area of the rectangle) is 0(1- e/3)= 0. The interval from 1- e/3 to 1+ e/3 has length 2e/3 and f has highest value 1, lowest value 0 in that interval. The products (areas of highest and lowest rectangles) are (2e/3)(1)= 2e/3 and (2e/3)(0)= 0, respectively. Finally, the interval from 1+ e/3 to 2 is 2- (1+e/3)= 1-e/3 and, again, f is identically equal to 0 so the "upper" and "lower" products are 0(1- e/3)= 0 again.
    Okay, using the lowest values we get L(f,P)= 0+ 0+ 0= 0 and using the highest values we get U(f,P)= 0+ 2e/3+ 0= 2e/3

Yes, since by taking e going to 0, we can make those the same: the integral, which, in this case, is 0.

Every interval contains both rational and irrational numbers. What is the lowest value of f in any interval? What is the highest value of f in any interval?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?