Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann Zeta zeros

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    in the Riemann Zeta function, is it possible to have two complex zeros off the critical strip that both have the same imaginary part?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    you re asking a question that closes the problem of Riemann hypothesis , i see there s no answer for your question yet .Think about it again or reformulate ,or i m just lost with the question

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    That have a different real part? I would think so. For instance, take s=1/4 and s=3/4 and plug them into the functional equation.
    [tex] \zeta(s) = 2^s\pi^{s-1}\sin\left(\frac{\pi s}{2}\right)\Gamma(1-s)\zeta(1-s) \! [/tex]

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4
    i'm looking for two complex zeros that both have the same imaginary part but have diffrent real part, non with real part half. it differs from the riemann hypothesis because i don't care for a single zero off the strip, just pairs:smile:. MAYBE some one can prove that, like that dude who proved that 40% of the complex zeros have real part half or the guys who proved all the complex zeros are between 0 and 1. i also don't understand what you mean by zeta(1/4) and zeta(3/4) these are not complex and not zeros:confused:.

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    i m wondering too why 1/4 and 3/4 ,i m wondering about p/2^n while p<2^n so that we stay in [0 1] with p prime.
    i just have noticed the 3/4 , 5/4 when i considered if zeta(z) is close to o then instead of considering zeta(z) i plug in zeta(z) i mean zeta{(zeta(z)} and do some crafting just like heaviside has done on distribution ,some approximation and see the expression not for z but for the complex zeta(z) ...there might be something arround go on try if you have time .

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  7. Dec 10, 2008 #6
    I was implying that there probably exists a real number t (due to what I mentioned in my first post) which satisfies:

[tex]\Im[\zeta(1/4 + it)] = \Im [\zeta(3/4 + it)]= 0[/tex]

etc. for other values of re(s)

8. Dec 11, 2008 #7
    have you got some proof,or it s not a statement?did you do some calclations?we can work only on proofs ,and close quickly debates because it s mathematics.

9. Dec 12, 2008 #8
    i don't have a proof, which is way i'm asking, i thought maybe someone can prove that there cannot be a pair with the same imaginary part but this turns out more complicated then i thought it would be.:frown:

10. Dec 12, 2008 #9
    oh yes i see .you can have an intuition that is true too .you might have a suitable answer .the information i got is that there are solutions with imaginary same absolute value .or with imaginary opposite. check [tex]\bar{z}[/tex] when z is a zero .I would like to make sure of your intuition ,but busy temporaly .later .cheers.

11. Dec 12, 2008 #10
    conjugates don't have the same imaginary part.

12. Dec 12, 2008 #11
    yes conjugates don t have have same imaginary except reals .
    So try to find out about your idea ,have you some was ?

13. Dec 14, 2008 #12
    Hi!
    fortunately all the complex zeros outside of the known strip are negative and even integers, so of course all of them are (complex but real) zeros of the RZF and have the same imaginary part (equal to zero). But the RZF has no zeros with nonzero imaginary part outside of the strip $0<\re z<1$. By the way those zeros are called trivial zeros.

14. Dec 14, 2008 #13
    What s going on here ?it s an hypothesis to be confirmed or rejected .rscosa ?no statements please about the location of the zeros.we re doing mathematics here .it s just an hypothesis then we re not allowed to consider it true.i m sorry but you have not seen what it s about yet .

15. Dec 14, 2008 #14

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The RH is that there are no nontrivial zeros off the critical *line*. It has been proven that there are no nontrivial zeros off the critical *strip*.

16. Dec 14, 2008 #15
    Hi!,
    there is NOT an official proof but many people is trying hard.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  17. Dec 17, 2008 #16
    Rh is very likely to be true . I have verified myself that if it s true there is not a problem still ,on the limit calculations theory .if it s false there is a big problem.
    But who just said it s been proven there are no nontrivial zero off the critical line?do you have the proof reference?i would like to have a look because i have not heard yet about it.problems like this are good not for the results of the proof but they develop logic and minds ,they develop the way of walking close to the reality.

18. Dec 17, 2008 #17

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No one on this thread has said that there are no nontrivial zeros off the critical line. *I* said that there are no nontrivial zeros off the critical strip -- this is well-known.

19. Dec 20, 2008 #18
    yes it s easy to prove there are no non trivial zero off the crtical strip .cool then .
    so .who knows if zeta can be real off the critical line but on the critical strip?then he s got a proof as well it looks .tell me something quickly where do you know zeta real ,for a variable complex on the critical strip with imaginary part different of zero.

20. Dec 20, 2008 #19

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you asking if anyone's solved the Riemann hypothesis?

21. Dec 21, 2008 #20
    hi mate.don t look far .the Riemann hypothis is easy to prove, it can t be that hard and there might be lot of proofs .i believed it was true ,false too , false , true. but today i believe in one result .true or false ,definitly , i don t think that i will change the last result i have had ,for fun ,TO OCCUPY MYSELF MORE.
    i believe that people have sorted RH since years now ,just not published , i know some mathematicians will not stuck with RH .
    I NEED HISTORY ABOUT RIEMANN AND RH .EVERYTHING HE HAS SAID ABOUT IT .
    BELIEVE THAT HE CAN BE WRONG HE IS A HUMAN BEING LIKE EULOR OR GAUSS WHO COULD NOT SORTED :1-1+1-1+1...............=
    I M LIL BIT TROUBBLED ,DON T MIND MUCH.
    CHEERS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?