Riemannian Connections: Summary

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the author discusses how connections are used to make sense of differentiation. They use the connection between two points to define the Christoffel symbol, which determines the connection. If the manifold is not embedded in any ambient space, then we need to specify how we will be translating the vector field based at x+h into the tangent space of the point x in the manifold. If the manifold is stand-alone, then we need to specify how we will be translating the vector field based at x+h into the tangent space of the point x in M. If M is embedded in IR^n, we make sense of the difference quotient by seeing it as the directional derivative of one vector field in the direction of
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi:
I have been aching over figuring out Riemannian Connections Conceptually
( It's a Heartache! :) )

Please give me some input (comments, corrections) here:

We use connections to make sense of the difference quotient in differentiation:

Lim _h->0: ( F(x+h)-F(x)/h )

In IR^n, there is no problem, because the tangent spaces at any two points

are naturally isomorphic, i.e., the fact that F(x+h) and F(x) live in different tangent

spaces ( T_x and T_(x+h) , resp. ) is not a serious problem: we translate F(x+h)

to the tangent space based at x ; translation gives us the isomorphism.

Now: If we are working on a non-flat manifold , then vector spaces are not

naturally isomorphic anymore. If the manifold M is emnbedded in IR^n , then

we make sense of the difference quotient by seeing it as the directional derivative

of one vector field in the direction of another V.Field. ( seeing T_x, the tangent

space of x in M , as a point in IR^n , so that T_xM ~ T_x IR^n ).

If the directional derivative does not live in the tangent space of M , we decompose

IR^n as T_p (+) (T_p )^Perp. , i.e., the orthogonal decomposition of the space.

Then the covariant derivative of X in the direction of Y is the projection of the

derivative into T_p.

Main Case:
If M is stand-alone , i.e., not embedded in any ambient space , and M not flat.

Then we need to specify how we will be tranlation the vector F(x+h) based at

T_(x+h)M , ( tangent space of the point x+h in M , into the tangent space

T_x M, of the point x in M ) . We do this , by specifying an isomorphism between

the two tangent spaces . The choice of the isomorphism between any two points

is the Christoffel symbol, and it determines the connection.

Thanks For Any Comment/Suggestion/ Correction.

P.S: I am kind of used to using ASCII. If others are not, let me know, and I will

use Latex.

Physics news on Phys.org
(Hopefully I have the following correct)

then

we make sense of the difference quotient by seeing it as the directional derivative

of one vector field in the direction of another V.Field.
Actually, what you are describing here is the Lie derivative, which is an intrinsic property of any differentiable manifold at all, and (a priori) doesn't have anything to do with connections.

The choice of the isomorphism between any two points

is the Christoffel symbol, and it determines the connection.
There are two problems with this.

The first is that the "choice of isomorphism" is parallel transport. In some sense, the Christoffel symbol is the derivative of the gadget that describes parallel transport.

The second is that the choice of isomorphism depends on the path chosen between the two points! A connection (in one perspective) is nothing more than a gadget that takes as input a curve on your manifold, and gives as output an isomorphism between the tangent spaces at the endpoints of the curve. (called parallel transport along the curve) It has to satisfy some obvious properties, of course, such as if you concatenate two curves, you compose the corresponding isomorphisms.

Now recall that one of the ways to name a tangent vector at a point is by specifying a differentiable curve passing through that point. Now that we have both a curve and a connection, we can compute the difference quotient. If the result doesn't depend on which curve we used to represent our tangent vector, then our connection is 'differentiable', and we can define the Christoffel symbols.

Thanks, Hurkyl, that was pretty helpful. A quick followup, please:

Do we make a distinction re connections (defining them, laying them out)

, between embedded manifolds and stand-alone manifolds?.

Also: can we define the Lie Derivative as above , i.e., of one V.Field in the

dir. of another V.Field, in a stand-alone manifold?. We would obviously not be able to

do a decomposition using T_p(+)T_p^(Perp.) of the tangent space , (together with

the fact that for a stand-alone, the tangent space is an abstract space of derivations)

Can we still define this derivative?

Thanks.

case T_p i) so how w

The Lie derivative follows from the differential operator interpretation of tangent vectors.

Specifically, if X and Y are the differential operators defined by two tangent vector fields, then their lie bracket is the vector field [X, Y] = XY - YX.

More explicitly, when applied to a scalar functon, you get
[X, Y](f) = X(Y(f)) - Y(X(f))​

(Other methods of definition are seen on Wikpiedia)

And one can define a lie derivative for scalar and vector fields by
[tex]\mathcal{L}_X Y = [X, Y][/tex]
[tex]\mathcal{L}_X f = X(f)[/tex]
and from there, I believe you can extend it to all tensors.

Thanks for everything, Hurkyl.

What is a Riemannian connection?

A Riemannian connection is a mathematical concept used to define a way to differentiate between two tangent vectors on a Riemannian manifold. It allows us to measure the curvature and distance between points on a curved space.

Why is a Riemannian connection important?

A Riemannian connection is important because it allows us to extend the concept of differentiation from flat spaces to curved spaces. It forms the basis for many important concepts in differential geometry, such as geodesics and curvature.

How is a Riemannian connection different from a standard connection?

A Riemannian connection is a special case of a standard connection, specifically one that is compatible with the Riemannian metric. This means that it preserves the inner product of tangent vectors, allowing us to perform calculations that are meaningful in the context of a Riemannian manifold.

What is the relationship between Riemannian connections and geodesics?

Riemannian connections are used to define geodesics, which are the shortest paths between two points on a Riemannian manifold. This is because geodesics are defined as curves that are parallel to themselves, and the Riemannian connection allows us to define parallel transport of vectors along a curve.

How can Riemannian connections be applied in real-world situations?

Riemannian connections have many applications in physics, such as in general relativity where they are used to describe the curvature of spacetime. They are also used in computer vision and machine learning to analyze and classify data that is represented as points on a manifold.