1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rifle Momentum problem

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rifle with a weight of 30N fires a 5.0g bullet with a speed of 300 m/s

(a) Find the recoil speed of the rifle

(b) If a 700 N man holds the rifle firmly against his shoulder, find the recoil speed of the man and the rifle

2. Relevant equations
    i think this problem has something to do with the conservation of momentum equation but i am not sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to even begin this problem
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    Momentum of the bullet is 5.0g times 300 m/s, right? So the momentum of the riffle is the same but in the opposite direction. What is the mass of the rifle given that the weight of the rifle is 30 N? Momentum of the rifle is the mass of the rifle times its velocity...
  4. Oct 17, 2007 #3
    Total velocity before firing = 0...Momentum of the rifle must be equal but opposite to that of the bullet, ie. (0.005kg*300m/s)+(3kg*v)=0, and v= -0.5m/s... I ain so sure bout tha second part, but I think you'll just combine the masses of the rifle and the man (70kg), and find the v in the same way...can anyone correct me if I'm wrong? We're just starting this topic...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?