Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right-angle lever paradox - Am. J. Phys.

1. Nov 10, 2003 #1

pmb

"Right-angle lever paradox" - Am. J. Phys.

I'd like to read this article

"Right-angle lever paradox," J. Charles Nickerson and Robert T.
    McAdory, Am. J. Phys. 43, 615 (1975)

----------------------------------------------------
    Abstract: We present the problem of relativistic torques with particular reference to the right-angle lever problem and outline a simple solution. The important elements of our solution are, first, a reexamination of the classical relation between torque and angular momentum and, second, the consequent realization that in relativistic analysis there exists a net internal torque which exactly cancels the net external torque experienced by an extended body in dynamic equilibrium. We find that the lever has constant angular momentum according to all Lorentz inertial reference systems and that this is consistent with the relativistic relationship between torque and angular momentum. Our solution is not restricted to relativity. It is valid for a wider class of theoretical frameworks.
    ----------------------------------------------------

But I don't have ready access to a library. Does anyone have this article? If so then can you e-mail a scanned copy to me? Thanks

Pete

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

pmb,

You don't live near a university library?

- Warren

4. Nov 10, 2003 #3

pmb

No. The nearest one is 35 miles away. And I'm still at a point where I get fatigued exstremely easy. I can get there but it will take a month or so and will be an all day event.

Pete

5. Nov 10, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I have electronic access to Am. J. Phys., but unfortunately they electronic archive only goes back to 1975. The next time I'm at Stanford, I'll scan it for you -- but it may be a week or more. Maybe someone else can do it more easily?

- Warren

6. Nov 10, 2003 #5

pmb

Dude!! You have access to Am. J. Phys.?? Awesome! There are two other articles I'd love to have.

Apparatus to measure relativistic mass increase, John W. Luetzelschwab, Am. J. Phys. 71, 878 (2003)

Faster-than-light speeds, tachyons, and the possibility of tachyonic neutrinos, Robert Ehrlich, Am. J. Phys. Vol. 71(11) pp. 1109-1114

Each looks very interesting. Especially since they are the topic of my research.

Can you e-mail them to me? If so it would be much appreciated.

peter.brown46@verizon.net

Pete

7. Nov 10, 2003 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

pmb,

I'll snag 'em for you when I get home. Unfortunately, my work does not allow me to access my university's proxy server, which I need to get into Am. J. Phys!

- Warren

8. Nov 10, 2003 #7

pmb

Dude! You're awesome! You're my hero for the day!

Muchus Gracias!

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?