1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right angle triangle trigonometry

1. Dec 27, 2004 #1
    The question says determine theta

I have a triangle with a hypotenuse of 3 cm
    opposite the angle theta is 2cm length
    and adjacent to that is unknown.

I dont know how to solve this question I dont remember what theta is lol or how to punch it in the calculator what do I do plz help me refresh my mind. :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2004 #2

Gold Member

You know that [tex]sin(\theta)=\frac{opp}{hyp}[/tex]

[tex]\theta=41.8 degrees[/tex]
  4. Dec 28, 2004 #3
    ok so whenever im solving for theta I use [tex]sin^-1[/tex] or do I use it whenever i am solving for any angle? what does [tex]sin^-1[/tex] do?

also how did u know to use [tex]sin[/tex] ?
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  5. Dec 28, 2004 #4
    SOH CAH TOA. Depends on what #s you have
  6. Dec 28, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.Yes,the equation:
    [tex] \sin \theta=a [/tex] is solved by applying on both sides of the equation the inverse function of "sin theta" (called [itex] \arcsin \theta [/itex]) which would giveu the result.Note the degree of generality:no (right) tringles involved,justmathematical functions.
    2.For any angle,for any argument of the function "sin",nit necessarily an angle.E.g.solve this equation for "x"
    [tex] \sin(x^{2}-4x+3)=-0.12 [/tex]
    "x"doesn't have the geomtrical interpretation of an angle,it's just "x",an arbitrary varible of a function f(x).
    3.Solve for the angle??? :rolleyes:
    4.In a right triangle,the sine of an angle is defined as the ratio between the opposide side and the hypothenuse.Since u were given both the opposite side ("opposite the angle theta is 2cm length") and the hypothenuse ("hypotenuse of 3 cm"),it was natural to use "sin".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?