• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Right hand rule

• Thread starter jti3066
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I am having trouble understanding right hand rule for Lenz's Law.

I need to know how to use the right hand rule with lenz'z law to find the dircection of induced current.

What if a current is flowing clockwise, with mag. field going into page, is the magnetic field strength increasing or decreasing?

I understand that if I point my thumb in the direction of current, my "curled" fingers will show the direction of the magnetic field created by wire.

I have not found any good explanations into this rule....Following are example problems:

A circular wire loop 40 cm in diameter has 100 resistance and lies in a horizontal plane. A uniform magnetic field points vertically downward, and in 28 ms it increases linearly from 4.0 mT to 53 mT. Which way does this current flow?

The magnetic field perpendicular to a circular loop of wire 16 cm in diameter is changed from +0.52 T to -0.45 T in 204 ms, where + means the field points away from an observer and - toward the observer. In what direction does the induced current flow?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

instead try this,

suppose B is into paper and increasing ... so ac. to lenz law ... point your thumb opposite to the B ... ie out of paper ...
the curl gives direction of current in any closed loop.