1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Right Hand Rule

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1

s-f

I'm trying to solve problems about magnetic fields of electric currents induced by charged particles and wires. Most of these problems require the right hand rule, which I don't really understand. All I know is your thumb points in the direction of the current and your fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field. I don't understand how to tell if the magnetic field is going into the page or out of the page based on this.

Question 1: The figure shows 2 charged particles moving in opposite directions. What is the direction of the magnetic field at point P? I attempted to copy the figure but the forum keeps editing it so I'll describe it: there are 2 positive particles separated by a distance (d). One is moving to the right, the other to the left. Halfway between the particles is point P (kind of like below, the plus signs represent positive particles with P halfway between).

(+)
    l
    l
    P
    l
    l
    (+)

Answer: Both particles make magnetic fields that point into the page.

I know this is the correct answer, but I don't get how to do this? How can you tell if the magnetic field is into or out of the page? :confused:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What specifically is it about applying the right-hand rule that is confusing you? Your textbook will likely give you as good of an explanation as you're going to get here.

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

Draw a line across your page,
    Now hold your hand with thumb pointing left, with that line directly under your thumb. Your fingers curl such that they will be curling into-the-page above your thumb - ie further up the page than the line - but out-of-the-page below our thumb - ie further down the page than the line.

Turn your hand so that your thumb points right and you get out-of-the-page above your thumb, and into-the-page below your thumb.

Point P is below a right moving charge [so its field is into the page] and above a left moving charge [so its field is also into the page]

Net result is the field is into the page at P - the two fields reinforce rather than cancel each other.

5. Jul 31, 2012 #4

s-f

@vela - I don't have a textbook :/ I'm taking a 6 week summer class in which we have to cover a whole semester's worth of material. It's really fast-paced and we have to learn a lot of things on our own as there isn't enough time for the teacher to go through everything. But I looked at YouTube tutorials on the subject and it helped a lot to see someone demonstrate it because we didn't learn in class.

@Peter - Thanks so much for explaining it really well! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook