• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Right Hand Rule

1. Homework Statement
9BjIJ3c.png

2. Homework Equations
Right Hand Rule

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I can get the magnitude, but cannot get the directions from the RHR. Can somebody make video/explain?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
1. Homework Statement
9BjIJ3c.png

2. Homework Equations
Right Hand Rule

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I can get the magnitude, but cannot get the directions from the RHR. Can somebody make video/explain?

Thanks!
Can you post a sketch and your work please? That will help us help you figure this out. Thanks.

It is just the right hand rule...what "sketch" is there?

berkeman
Mentor
It is just the right hand rule...what "sketch" is there?
The problem statement involves a 3-dimensional problem. The solution involves a sketch with 3-d coordinates and calculations. Are you asking us to reproduce all of your work in order to help you? Please post your detailed sketch and calculations so that we can help you.

I don't need the magnitude part. I need the direction part... and 3d coordinates are not needed, the right hand rule is.

berkeman
Mentor
I don't need the magnitude part. I need the direction part... and 3d coordinates are not needed, the right hand rule is.
You are not helping. I'm out. Hopefully somebody else can help you.

?? What do you mean?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Quote the right hand rule, as it applies to a moving charge in a magnetic field.
Alternatively, quote the equation as a cross product and quote the rule as it relates to cross products.

I think you need a refresher on the right hand rule. You may find the first sentence useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule

The right-hand rule is defined for use in 3D coordinates. Furthermore, you should generally begin any physics problem by defining a convenient set of coordinates.

Right hand rule: point thumb in direction of v, fingers in direction of B, then F is direction of palm.

Then what is your question?

I cannot get the direction.. do you have a picture of your right hand?

IMG_0037_2.jpg

I meant, in the position of this problem, with thumb, fingers oriented in position

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
point thumb in direction of v, fingers in direction of B, then F is direction of palm.
So point your right thumb in the direction of the current (which way is that?) and your fingers in the direction of the field (which way is that?)

I cannot bend my hand so far...

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I cannot bend my hand so far...
At least answer my questions about directions, or I too will quit the thread. You are not trying very hard to help others help you.

Oh, I already know those ones, it's trivial. Current goes toward east, magnetic field is 75 degrees below horizontal...

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Oh, I already know those ones, it's trivial. Current goes toward east, magnetic field is 75 degrees below horizontal...
... but what direction is the magnetic field geographically?

Would be 75 degrees downward

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
South

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author