Unsure About the Right Hand Rule? Get Help Here!

In summary: The direction of the magnetic field of a dipole is defined, by convention, to be out of its North pole into its South pole.
minimario

Homework Statement

9BjIJ3c.png

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get the magnitude, but cannot get the directions from the RHR. Can somebody make video/explain?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
minimario said:

Homework Statement

9BjIJ3c.png

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get the magnitude, but cannot get the directions from the RHR. Can somebody make video/explain?

Thanks!

Can you post a sketch and your work please? That will help us help you figure this out. Thanks.

It is just the right hand rule...what "sketch" is there?

minimario said:
It is just the right hand rule...what "sketch" is there?

The problem statement involves a 3-dimensional problem. The solution involves a sketch with 3-d coordinates and calculations. Are you asking us to reproduce all of your work in order to help you? Please post your detailed sketch and calculations so that we can help you.

I don't need the magnitude part. I need the direction part... and 3d coordinates are not needed, the right hand rule is.

minimario said:
I don't need the magnitude part. I need the direction part... and 3d coordinates are not needed, the right hand rule is.

You are not helping. I'm out. Hopefully somebody else can help you.

?? What do you mean?

Quote the right hand rule, as it applies to a moving charge in a magnetic field.
Alternatively, quote the equation as a cross product and quote the rule as it relates to cross products.

minimario said:

I think you need a refresher on the right hand rule. You may find the first sentence useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule

The right-hand rule is defined for use in 3D coordinates. Furthermore, you should generally begin any physics problem by defining a convenient set of coordinates.

Right hand rule: point thumb in direction of v, fingers in direction of B, then F is direction of palm.

Then what is your question?

I cannot get the direction.. do you have a picture of your right hand?

IMG_0037_2.jpg

Likes gracy
I meant, in the position of this problem, with thumb, fingers oriented in position

minimario said:
point thumb in direction of v, fingers in direction of B, then F is direction of palm.
So point your right thumb in the direction of the current (which way is that?) and your fingers in the direction of the field (which way is that?)

I cannot bend my hand so far...

minimario said:
I cannot bend my hand so far...
At least answer my questions about directions, or I too will quit the thread. You are not trying very hard to help others help you.

Likes uselesslemma
Oh, I already know those ones, it's trivial. Current goes toward east, magnetic field is 75 degrees below horizontal...

minimario said:
Oh, I already know those ones, it's trivial. Current goes toward east, magnetic field is 75 degrees below horizontal...
... but what direction is the magnetic field geographically?

Would be 75 degrees downward

minimario said:
Would be 75 degrees downward
That's not a geographical direction. N, S, E, W...?

South

minimario said:
South
So point your thumb E, your fingers S and 75 degrees down, with your hand flat. Which way is your palm facing?

Toward the north and down?

minimario said:
Toward the north and down?
Yes. Down at what angle?

15 degrees below the vertical?

minimario said:
15 degrees below the vertical?
Right.

No, it's not right, according to the answer key: answer says 15 degrees above horizontal in the north south plane

minimario said:
No, it's not right, according to the answer key: answer says 15 degrees above horizontal in the north south plane
Ah yes, I slipped up.
The direction of Earth's magnetic field is towards the North. That's the way the North pole of a magnetic compass points. This means that considering the Earth as a magnet, its North pole is in the geographic South. Confusing isn't it?

It's 75 degrees below horizontal, so why is it north instead of south?

minimario said:
It's 75 degrees below horizontal, so why is it north instead of south?
It doesn't depend on the dip angle.
The direction of the magnetic field of a dipole is defined, by convention, to be out of its North pole into its South pole.
The North pole of a magnet is defined to be the end which is attracted to somewhere near Earth's geographic North.
But the North pole of one magnet is attracted to the South pole of another. It follows that regarding Earth as a magnet, its North pole is at its geographic South pole, and vice versa.
To put it another way, the North pole of a compass needle points in the local direction of the Earth's magnetic field, i.e., approximately geographic North.
(In the context of the question, the 75 degree dip means we're at a high northern latitude.)

1. What is the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is a mathematical tool used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of a vector or the rotation of an object.

2. How do I use the right hand rule?

To use the right hand rule, extend your right hand with your fingers pointing in the direction of the vector or the axis of rotation. Your thumb will then point in the direction of the resulting vector or the direction of rotation.

3. Why is the right hand rule important?

The right hand rule is important because it allows us to easily determine the direction of vectors and rotations in 3-dimensional space, which is crucial in many fields of science and engineering such as electromagnetism and mechanics.

4. Are there different versions of the right hand rule?

Yes, there are different versions of the right hand rule depending on the specific application. The most commonly used version is the cross product rule, which is used to determine the direction of a vector resulting from a cross product of two other vectors.

5. What are some tips for remembering the right hand rule?

One tip for remembering the right hand rule is to practice using it regularly. Another tip is to associate the direction of your fingers with the direction of the vector or rotation, and your thumb with the resulting direction. There are also mnemonic devices and visual aids that can help with remembering the right hand rule.