Solving Right Hand Rule Homework with Electric & Magnetic Fields

In summary, the problem at hand involves an electron suspended by a combination of electric and magnetic fields. The direction of the magnetic field in this region can be determined using the right hand rule, specifically RHR 1 for force problems. It is important to start with a free-body diagram and define the direction in order to solve the problem. The electromagnetic force on the electron can be represented by the equation F = -e(E + v x B), where v is the velocity of the electron.
jtb93

Homework Statement

An electron is suspended due to the combination of an electric field and a magnetic field. What is the direction of the magnetic field in this region?

Don't need to solve this, just need to explain the approach to solve it.

Homework Equations

Right hand rule 1- thumb (force), index finger (qV or I), middle finger (magnetic field)
Right hand rule 2- thumb (direction of current), fingers (magnetic field)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume this is a force problem since there is going to be both magnetic and electric forces acting on the electron. Can I assume that since this is the force problem you'd have to use RHR 1 since it involves force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it's a force problem ... start with a free-body diagram.
You will need to define "direction" to answer the problem.
The electromagnetic force on the electron is ##\vec F = -e(\vec E + \vec v\times \vec B)## where ##\vec v## is the velocity of the electron.

1. How do I determine the direction of the magnetic field using the right hand rule?

To determine the direction of the magnetic field, point your thumb in the direction of the current flow and curl your fingers around the wire. The direction your fingers curl will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

2. Can the right hand rule be used for both electric and magnetic fields?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used for both electric and magnetic fields. For electric fields, the thumb points in the direction of the electric field and the fingers point in the direction of the force on a positive charge. For magnetic fields, the thumb points in the direction of the current flow and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How do I use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the force on a charged particle?

To determine the direction of the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field, use the right hand rule by pointing your thumb in the direction of the particle's velocity, your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm of your hand will point in the direction of the force.

4. Can the right hand rule be used for any shape or arrangement of wires or magnets?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used for any shape or arrangement of wires or magnets as long as the direction of the current or magnetic field is known.

5. Are there any variations of the right hand rule for different situations?

Yes, there are variations of the right hand rule for different situations such as the left hand rule for negative charges, the right-hand screw rule for determining the direction of a magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, and the corkscrew rule for determining the direction of a magnetic field created by a current loop.