1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigid Body Dynamics - Part II

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    Hello again! About my last problem (cone principal moments of inertia around top vertice), I´ve found the main moments of inertia, but I did so by integrating the moments of inertia dI o a disk rotaing about it´s diameter (1/4 ML^2, by table), and found the correct answer. But I have done this by the way we did it in Basic Physics 1... in Classical Mechanics I, I think there´s a way in which you use "proportion factors" and find the moments of inertia like Ixx =M(Ky x Lambda-y + Kz x Lambda-z), but i could apply this method...Still, I haven´t figured out how to find a h/a (height / base radius) of that cone in which every axis passing through the vertice v is a principal axis... Somehow, I think it´s a eigenvalue and eigenvector problem of the Inertia tensor... Oh, and by the way, does anyone know how to find the moment of inertia of that disk, about it´s diameter?? I got the value from a table, since I could not find the answer myself...(tried something similar to the spherical moment of inertia by integrating a cascade of disks....didn´t work as well with a cascade of bars for the disk though...)

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted