1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rigid body energy and spring

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    hi, i'll be glad to get some help with that.
    thanks

A thin uniform rod has mass M = 0.5 kg and length L= 0.55 m. It has a pivot at one end and is at rest on a compressed spring as shown in (A) in the attached image. The rod is released from an angle θ1= 63.0o, and moves through its horizontal position at (B) and up to (C) where it stops with θ2 = 105.0o, and then falls back down. Friction at the pivot is negligible. Calculate the speed of the CM at (B).
    The spring in (A) has a length of 0.11 m and at (B) a length of 0.14 m. Calculate the spring constant k.

I will combine that two mandatory fields as i dont understand the first of them.
    In general i see that the first question is an energy conservation question.
    i can use the second and third state to find the speed.
    so i write an equation where the potential energy of state c equals the kinetic energy of state b, in case i choose the zero line to where the rod is parallel to the ground.
    what i don't know is how to treat the potential energy. i know that the kinetic one
    consists of the c.m part and the 0.5Iw^2 part but what about mgh, different parts of the rod are in different hights?

thanks
    and sorry if i wasn't totally formal, i just didn't know how to

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi zhenyazh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)

Yes, it's an energy conservation question.

For the gravitational PE, only the position of the centre of mass matters, so in mgh use h as the height of the centre of mass. :smile:

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    thanks
    can u help me out with the second part too? i just get confused with the equations

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean "The spring in (A) has a length of 0.11 m and at (B) a length of 0.14 m. Calculate the spring constant k." ?

Again, use conservation of energy …

at maximum compression, the KE of the rod is zero.

What do you get? :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook