1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigid body motion

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sphere of mass M and radius R it`s given a velocity Vo on the base of a inclined plane (theta being the angle) and friction coefficient mu (you may assume that static and kinetic friction are equal) Find the position of the ball as a function of time

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi hellsnake! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a mu: µ :wink:)

(and btw, is the sphere skidding, or is it rolling without slipping?)

Use work done and conservation of energy …

what do you get? :smile:

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3
    It doesn'st tell you if it's slipping or not you have to see that. By the way I forgot you have to study the two cases when µ≤ 2/7 tan θ and µ≥ 2/7 tan θ. Without the equal. And when I do conservation of energy and work done by friction I get this differential equation
    (1/2)M.(Vcm)² + (1/2)Icm.w² + MgH - (1/2)MVo² = -Ffr X(t)
    But Vcm= (d/dt)X(t) and H=X(t)sin θ . Then I get that

(1/2)M.(d/dt)X(t))² + (1/2)Icm.w² + MgX(t)sin θ - (1/2)MVo² = -Ffr X(t)

Where:
    M= mass of the sphere
    Vcm= It's the velocity of the center of the mass
    Icm= It's the moment or inertia with an axis that pass through the center oh the sphere
    w= It's the angular velocity
    H= It's how high is the sphere measure from the floor
    Vo= It's the initial velocity
    Ffr= It's the force that the frcition does
    X(t)= It'sthe position of the ball measure from the point where it start his motion. And I choose the X axis parallel to the motion

So if I read the equation I get that the energy on a arbitrary point of the sphere is equal to
    (1/2)M.(Vcm)² + (1/2)Icm.w² + MgH. Now this minus the energy in the initial moment(the sphere doesn't have rotational energy here) (1/2)MVo² . All of this is equal to the work done by friction -Ffr X(t)

I think that I have to do another thing because this differential equation It's too hard for this course I think. However if you have the solution for this equation I appreciate it too

Thanks alot in advance

5. Apr 1, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi hellsnake! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)

You can simplify it slightly by writing Icm in terms of M and R, and writing Ffr = µMg.

After that, you need a relation between V and ω … try the easier, rolling-without-slipping case first: V = Rω. :wink:

(and after that, you'll need to find the condition on µ for rolling … presumably it's going to be µ ≥ 2/7 tanθ ! :rolleyes:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook