Rigid Body Physics: Box on Plane Simulations

In summary: To calculate the rotational motion, one would need to know the rotational speed, the angle of rotation, and the distance from the origin of rotation.
superjoebob
Hi, I am new to these forums so i hope I am putting this in the right place...

I am completely lost with how to even start a simple box on plane physics simulation. I've read dozens of formulas and tutorials, I understand them mostly but they all seem very abstract in the sense of how to use the information they provide. Say i had a box, over top of 2 platforms like the image in the attachment. Starting from absolute ground zero, no set anything, just a blank picture, what must be calculated in order to get the box moving initially, fall ontothe ledge and calculate rotation, and do everything it should do? Please don't say to do more research or take a course because I've been through grade 11 and 12 physics and read dozens of formulas and tutorials on rigid body dynamics but theyre all so abstract that I just can't get useful information out of them. Please help me, I am so lost on this topic and have spent weeks researching it without breaking any ground :confused:

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read about Newton's laws and their rotational equivalents? Basically, you will need to keep track of your box's position, velocity, angle, and rotational speed. Then the box will be acted on by forces and torques. At each point in time you use the force and torque to update the velocity and rotational speed, and you use the velocity and rotational speed to update the position and angle.

i would suggest that you try and look into spring based solutions. they are often easier to implement and are also very scalable. You could treat the box as a few springs with high spring coefficient (giving illusion of rigidness), and just use verlet integration scheme to move it around.

It's difficult to help one without knowing one's experience.

With regard to the given problem is the box initially at rest and then released, in which case it has no initial vertical velocity, and one simply calculates the motion of the box in free fall.

This might be useful - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

and

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/inecon.html

When the box interacts with a solid surface, there will be an impulse reaction, so one needs to know the moment of inertia of box, the impulse load/force and the moment arm.

The box the rotates and falls untils it hits the second surface, so there is both rectilinear motion (free fall) and rotational motion.

1. What is rigid body physics?

Rigid body physics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and interactions of solid objects that do not deform under external forces. It is used to simulate and study the behavior of objects such as boxes, spheres, and other geometric shapes.

2. How is rigid body physics used in box on plane simulations?

In a box on plane simulation, rigid body physics is used to calculate the movement and collisions of a solid box on a flat plane surface. This involves applying Newton's laws of motion and considering factors such as mass, velocity, and friction in the simulation.

3. What are the main components of a box on plane simulation?

A box on plane simulation typically consists of a box or rigid body object, a flat plane surface, and a physics engine that calculates the interactions between the two objects. The simulation may also include other variables such as gravity, external forces, and constraints.

4. How is friction accounted for in box on plane simulations?

In a box on plane simulation, friction is typically modeled using Coulomb's law of friction, which states that the frictional force between two surfaces is proportional to the normal force between them. The frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the relative motion between the two surfaces.

5. What are the limitations of box on plane simulations?

Box on plane simulations have some limitations, as they are simplified representations of real-world scenarios. These limitations include the assumption that objects are rigid and do not deform, neglecting air resistance, and not accounting for complex interactions such as rolling and sliding. Additionally, these simulations may not accurately reflect the behavior of objects in extreme conditions or with irregular shapes.