Rigid Body Problem: Solve Force & Direction for 491 N

In summary, the normal force on both of the wheels and the minimum force required at the grip B needed to lift the load is 212.61 N.
OmniNewton

Homework Statement

Given the following diagram
2249def611c4ccf5b2b6f7e85cddc7f9.png

If the crate produces a force of gravity of 491 N from the center of gravity G, determine the normal force on both of the wheels and the magnitude and direction of the minimum force required at the grip B needed to lift the load.

Homework Equations

Fx = 0;
Fy= 0;
MB = 0;

The Attempt at a Solution

Sign Convention: Up and to the right is positive and counter clockwise is positive.
from Fx = 0
0= 2Ax - FBcos(theta) (equation 1)
from Fy = 0
0= FBsin(theta) - 491N + 2Ay (equation 2)
from MB = 0
0 = -2Axcos60(0.1) +2 Aysin60(0.1) - (491cos30)(0.6) (equation 3)

from 1
Ax= 0.5FBcos(theta) (1A)
from 2
Ay = 0.5(491N-FBsin(theta) (2A)

Substitute 1A and 2A into 3

After Simplifying I have

-0.05FBcos(theta)-0.0866FBsin(theta) =212.61

I am now stuck as to how to proceed. I am wondering if my initial free body diagram is flawed. Does the wheel at A produce a horizontal force Ax and a Vertical force Ay? Or is Ay the only force produced. The problem with my equations is I seem to have to many unknowns.

Physics news on Phys.org
OmniNewton said:
Does the wheel at A produce a horizontal force Ax and a Vertical force Ay?
Consider the moment at which the trolley starts to ascend.
OmniNewton said:
from MB = 0
0 = -2Axcos60(0.1) +2 Aysin60(0.1) - (491cos30)(0.6) (equation 3)
I see a few errors there. Please explain how you get those terms.

haruspex said:
Consider the moment at which the trolley starts to ascend.

I see a few errors there. Please explain how you get those terms.
the force of Ax projected onto the bar is Axcos60 and Ay projected onto the bar is Axsin60 or axcos30 then multiply them by perpendicular distance. Then multiply the components of Fg by their perpendicular distance. Although I see what you mean it looks like I am missing (491sin30)(0.4).

Still I think I may have to many unknowns

The new equation is now
0 = -2Axcos60(0.1) +2 Aysin60(0.1) - (491cos30)(0.6) + (491sin30)(0.4) (equation 3)

OmniNewton said:
Ay projected onto the bar
If you consider my first comment in post #2 you will see that Ay is zero.
OmniNewton said:
+(491sin30)(0.4)
Check the sign, and how do you get 0.4?
Note you have a cos and a sine term for the 491, but only a cos term for the Ax. Does that suggest anything?

Note: I just noticed your first statement and now I have some work to do. This eliminates Ay! one of my unknowns!

Excellent, thank you so much, haruspex, I was able to get the correct answers. Your suggestions were all correct. I appreciate the guidance!

OmniNewton said:
Excellent, thank you so much, haruspex, I was able to get the correct answers. Your suggestions were all correct. I appreciate the guidance!
Well done.

1. What is a rigid body problem?

A rigid body problem refers to a situation in which a body is assumed to be rigid, meaning it does not deform under any applied forces. This allows for the simplification of calculations and analysis of the body's motion.

2. How is the force and direction determined in a rigid body problem?

In a rigid body problem, the force and direction are determined by using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By setting up equations of motion and solving for the unknown forces, the force and direction can be determined.

3. What is the unit of measurement for force in a rigid body problem?

The unit of measurement for force in a rigid body problem is typically Newtons (N). This is the unit of force in the International System of Units (SI) and is equal to the amount of force needed to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

4. What factors can affect the solution to a rigid body problem?

The solution to a rigid body problem can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the body, the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, and the initial conditions of the body's motion. Other external factors such as friction and air resistance may also need to be considered in the analysis.

5. How can the solution to a rigid body problem be verified?

The solution to a rigid body problem can be verified by performing experiments or simulations to test the predicted motion of the body. Additionally, the solution can also be checked using principles of conservation of energy and momentum, which should hold true in a rigid body system.