• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Rigid body rotation problem

I am trying to solve problem number 4 part A and B from (http://people.physics.tamu.edu/kamon/teaching/phys218/exam/2003C/2003C_Exam3_Solution.pdf) but I am confused about certain aspects of it.

In part A, I understand that since we are considering the person as a cylinder, the equation for moment of inertia will include (1/2)MR^2. What I can't seem to understand is where did 2MR^2 come from and why we didn't include the moment of inertia of the arm(which is a rod).

In part B, I understand the rest of the moment of inertia equation but I am confused where did m(1l/2 + R)^2 come from?

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Hello Ken, :welcome:

Please use the template and the superscript/subscript buttons. See guidelines
Apparently you have a question on moment of inertia. So isolate that problem and state it. Show the relevant equations.

And note that the solution does make a difference between M and m -- as you do not.

Doc Al
Mentor
What I can't seem to understand is where did 2MR^2 come from and why we didn't include the moment of inertia of the arm(which is a rod).
The 2mR^2 is the moment of inertia of the arms -- when they are hanging down, not outstretched. (Note: m, not M.)

In part B, I understand the rest of the moment of inertia equation but I am confused where did m(1l/2 + R)^2 come from?
Here the arms are outstretched. Note that the axis of rotation is the center of the person, not the shoulder.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
The 2mR^2 is the moment of inertia of the arms -- when they are hanging down, not outstretched. (Note: m, not M.)

Here the arms are outstretched. Note that the axis of rotation is the center of the person, not the shoulder.
Giving it away, eh ? not PF ! Well, let's say Ken has beginner's credit :wink:

Doc Al
Mentor
Giving it away, eh ? not PF !
:wink:

Well, let's say Ken has beginners credit
First one's free! :smile:

Reactions: BvU