Deriving the Moment of Inertia for a Rod with a Pivot at One End

In summary, a plank of length l and mass m pivoted at one end will have an initial acceleration of (3/2)*g. This is derived using the parallel axis theorem and Newton's second law in rotation. The moment of inertia of the rod is found to be 1/3 (m*l*l) and the torque acting at the center of mass is (-0.5*l)*m*g. The final acceleration is equal to ALPHA*l, which is equal to (-3/2)*g*l.
wolf party
a plank is conected horizontally at both ends to two points. One of the points dissapears and the other turns into a pivot. show that the Planck of length l,mass m pivoted at one end has an acceleration (3/2)*g initially

i used parallel axis theorm do derive the moment of inertia of a rod with pivot at one end
I = 1/3 (M*L*L)

the torque acting at the CM of rod
TAU=-Mg(postion of cm)=-Mg(x(cm))=-(0.5*l)Mg

Newtons second law in rotation

ALPHA = TAU/I = (-0.5*l)Mg/(1/3*M*L*L) = (-) 3/2*g*l

this is not what the question wanted as i have an extra l, what have i missed? thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody?

Your answer is correct, but they are asking for the acceleration which is equal to ALPHA*l

Last edited:
cheers

What is rigid body rotation?

Rigid body rotation is a type of motion in which an object maintains its shape and size while rotating around a fixed axis. This means that all points on the object move in circular paths at the same angular velocity.

What is the difference between rigid body rotation and general rotation?

Rigid body rotation only occurs when the object maintains its shape and size, while general rotation can involve changes in shape and size. Additionally, in rigid body rotation, all points on the object have the same angular velocity, whereas in general rotation, this may not be the case.

What are the equations for calculating rigid body rotation?

The equations for calculating rigid body rotation include the angular displacement equation, ω = Δθ/Δt, the angular velocity equation, ω = dθ/dt, and the angular acceleration equation, α = dω/dt. These equations can be used to determine the rotation of an object at a given time.

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, while linear velocity refers to the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

What are some real-life examples of rigid body rotation?

Some real-life examples of rigid body rotation include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the movement of a spinning dancer on ice. These objects all maintain their shape and size while rotating around a fixed axis.