1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Rigid column fluid mechanics

1. Jan 2, 2017 #1
    Hello, please see attached text below - this concerns ''rigid column theory''. When a valve is closed, the pressure rises at the valve; the pressure rises above the reservoir pressure by ΔP with a height increase ΔH above H. When the valve is opened, this right hand pressure will disappear and the fluid will start to flow through the open valve.

Why is ΔH = H - Hf?

upload_2017-1-2_9-52-28.png

upload_2017-1-2_9-52-43.png

upload_2017-1-2_9-52-59.png

upload_2017-1-2_9-53-11.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

So the driving force / ##\left ( {\pi\over 4} d^2 \rho g \right ) \ \ ## ΔH is the head H at the entrance of the pipe minus the head loss in the pipe.

4. Jan 2, 2017 #3
    I've drawn so many diagrams and simply cannot show that delta H = H - Hf!!

5. Jan 2, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

That a question ?

6. Jan 5, 2017 #5
    The explanations given in the attached document (the first post in this thread) are poor in my opinion.
    Here is how I interpret it: when the valve closes, it seems to imply that a piezometer at the valve with show height H + ΔH
    upload_2017-1-5_13-45-15.png

Thus, if we define positive direction to the right,

∑forces on the fluid in horizontal pipe = m.a

(ρgH + ρ0).A - (ρg(H+ΔH) + ρ0).A = ρAL. dv/dt where: ρAL is the mass of fluid in the horizontal pipe and ρ0 is atmospheric pressure (A is pipe cross section)

This gives ΔH = - L/g dv/dt which implies that when delta H is positive, then there will be a deceleration of flow.

Similarly, upon valve opening, we will see:
    upload_2017-1-5_13-45-44.png
    If positive direction still to the right,
    ∑forces on the fluid in horizontal pipe = m.a

(ρgH + ρ0)A - (ρg(H-ΔH) + ρ0)A = ρAL. dv/dt

thus ΔH = L/g dv/dt which implies that when delta H is as shown on the diagram, then there will be a deceleration of flow.

Now, I always though that head loss was as shown in the following diagram:
    upload_2017-1-5_13-54-5.png

I've drawn the energy grade line (EGL) and hydraulic grade line (HGL) as the piezometer. ΔH, as defined in diagram 2 on this post is shown in white. Delta H is not equal to H - Hf (Hf also called HL).

upload_2017-1-5_13-49-58.png

So, where have I gone wrong?

Attached Files:

7. Jan 5, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

To be honest, I so far only reacted to the part of your question I could recognize (##H_f##). For the pressure surge I have to read up too.
    Text says they close the valve gradually, so the stuff keeps flowing. Instead of assuming a linear deceleration as in the link, the book stops with (2.2a), basically ## F = ma ##. So I agree with you, up to and including
    Note that in fact so far we haven't said anything about the magnitude of ##\Delta H##.
    Rememer that ##\Delta H## is a difference.

Upon valve opening, the inital head at he valve is H and the valve has to counter it with a force ##\rho g H A##. Any form of opening the valve lowers the force the valve can exercise on the liquid (the head at the valve), so there is a negative ##\Delta H## available to accelerate the cylinder of liquid.

So imho the baseline for ##\Delta H## in your second picture is the top line and ##\Delta H < 0##.

As such, I see no wrong in the treatment in the text: there are no excessive claims, just manipulation of a few equations.

Your third diagram depicts a steady state: ##{du\over dt}=0## so there is no ##\Delta H##.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted