Calculating Moment of Inertia & Kinetic Energy of Rotating Object

In summary, the problem involves an object with three point masses attached to a massless rigid rod, with the center of mass located at 0.52 m. The object is pivoted about an axis and rotates from the position of the 0.2 kg mass. The moment of inertia about that axis can be calculated by finding the moment of inertia of each mass separately and adding them together. The object is then allowed to swing from horizontal to vertical, and the change in potential energy can be calculated. Using the answers from parts (a) and (b), the rotational kinetic energy can be calculated.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

An object consists of three point masses (m1=0.2 kg, m2=0.3 kg and m3=0.5 kg) attached to a massless rigid rod. The masses are located at 0 m, 0.4 m, and 0.8 m respectively. (The rod is 0.8 m in length so the 0.5 kg mass is attached to one end and the 0.2 kg mass to the other).
The center of mass is located at 0.52 m.

a) The object is pivoted about an axis so that it rotates from the position of the 0.2 kg mass.

(0.2-------0.3-------0.8 with circular rotation originating at the first mass). What is the object's moment of inertia about that axis?

b) Starting from rest the object is allowed to swing from horizontal to vertical (so the rod is now pointing down). By how much does the potential energy of the object change?

c) from (a) and (b)'s answers, calculate rotational kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

I=Icm+MD2
Icm=?
E=1/2Iw2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted 0.522*1 (since one is the total weight) + 0.5*0.522 and got an answer of 0.4 something. I have a study guide that tells me this answer is incorrect. My main problem with this question is calculating the inertia and then figuring out how it relates to the potential energy! Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion.

3. How do you calculate kinetic energy of a rotating object?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy of a rotating object is KE = 1/2 * I * ω², where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

4. Can moment of inertia and kinetic energy be negative?

No, moment of inertia and kinetic energy cannot be negative. They are both physical quantities that represent positive values.

5. How does changing the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the distribution of mass in an object. Changing the shape of an object can change the distribution of mass, thus affecting its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia than objects with the same mass closer to the axis.