Rigid object in equilibrium

• Thread starter 464thomas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a horizontal beam attached to a wall with a hinge and supported by a brace. The beam has a weight of 337 N and is kept in equilibrium by three additional forces. These forces are a horizontal force from the hinge, a vertical force from the hinge, and a force from the brace directed upward at an angle θ with respect to the horizontal. The problem involves finding the magnitudes of these three forces (H, V, P). The conversation also suggests using a free-body diagram and a force balance in both the x and y directions, as well as a moment balance, to solve the problem.
464thomas
1. The drawing shows a uniform horizontal beam attached to a vertical wall by a frictionless hinge and supported from below at an angle θ = 37° by a brace that is attached to a pin. The beam has a weight of 337 N. Three additional forces keep the beam in equilibrium. The brace applies a force Parrowbold to the right end of the beam that is directed upward at the angle θ with respect to the horizontal. The hinge applies a force to the left end of the beam that has a horizontal component Parrowbold and a vertical component Varrowbold. Find the magnitudes of these three forces (H, V, P).

not sure

3. I have no idea at how to begin this problem :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 464thomas, welcome to PF. Do you know how to draw a free-body diagram?

yes, I have the forces all drawn out, and I somehow was able to get force (i tried different formulas and I think I came across the answer by chance) V=170N to be correct

Try doing a equilibrium force balance (aka, "the sum of the forces equals zero") in the x direction and y direction, and do a moment balance around some point (doesn't matter). That's how you'll find the remaining forces.

1. What is a rigid object in equilibrium?

A rigid object in equilibrium refers to an object that is not moving or rotating, and has balanced forces acting on it. This means that all the forces acting on the object cancel out, resulting in a state of balance.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a rigid object?

Equilibrium is achieved in a rigid object when the net force and net torque acting on the object are both equal to zero. This means that there is no acceleration or rotation occurring, and the object remains in a state of rest or constant motion.

3. What are the conditions for a rigid object to be in equilibrium?

There are two conditions for a rigid object to be in equilibrium: the sum of all forces acting on the object must be equal to zero, and the sum of all torques acting on the object must also be equal to zero.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a rigid object that is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a rigid object that is in constant motion at a constant velocity. In both cases, the forces and torques acting on the object are balanced, but in dynamic equilibrium, the object is moving at a constant speed.

5. How is the center of mass related to equilibrium in a rigid object?

The center of mass of a rigid object is the point where all the mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. In equilibrium, the center of mass of the object remains at a fixed position, as there is no acceleration or rotation occurring. This means that the forces and torques acting on the object are balanced around the center of mass.