Rigid Objects in equilibirum

• Thread starter elitespart
  • Start date
In summary, a 1200 N beam attached to a vertical wall and supported by a cable has a 1960 N crate hanging from the far end. To calculate the tension in the wire, the torque from the tension is determined by finding the horizontal component of the tension and its vertical distance from the hinge. After determining the angle between the wire and the beam to be 80 degrees, the torque is calculated as T*Lsin80. This is equivalent to cos10, as shown in the solution.
elitespart
A 1200 N uniform beam is attached to a vertical wall at one end and is supported by a cable at the other end. A W = 1960 N crate hangs from the far end of the beam.

Picture: http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1507/art/qb/qu/c09/ch09p_20.gif

Calculate the magnitude of the tension in the wire.

So I know that sum of forces and torques equals 0. Using the hinge as the axis of rotation:

Torque from crate = -1960Lcos(30)
Torque from beam = -1200(L/2)cos(30)
What would the torque from the tension in the wire be? It's directed 50 degrees above the horizontal so I thought it would be T*Lcos(50) but that is wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's directed 50 degrees above the horizontal so I thought it would be T*Lcos(50) but that is wrong.
To find the torque from the tension find the horizontal component of the T and find its vertical distance from the hinge. The product will give you the required torque.

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean. In the solution it divided the sum of the torques from the crate and the beam by cos(10). Where did they get that from?

Torque due to the tension is Tcos50*Lsin30

rl.bhat said:
Torque due to the tension is Tcos50*Lsin30

no that's not right. the answer is 2251N. Using your torque for the wire gives an answer of 6898.

elitespart said:
What would the torque from the tension in the wire be? It's directed 50 degrees above the horizontal so I thought it would be T*Lcos(50) but that is wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction?
What's the angle between the wire and the beam? Use that angle to determine the torque.

Doc Al said:
What's the angle between the wire and the beam? Use that angle to determine the torque.

Well I'm guessing it's cos(10) but I don't know where that is coming from.

Why guess? You have the diagram. Figure out the angle.

Doc Al said:
Why guess? You have the diagram. Figure out the angle.

That's what they had in the solution. From the pic I'm getting an angle of 30 between the wire and beam.

elitespart said:
That's what they had in the solution.
We'll get to the solution soon enough. First find the angle.

From the pic I'm getting an angle of 30 between the wire and beam.
How do you get that? The diagram states that the wire is 50 degrees from the horizontal, so its angle with the beam must be even greater.

Doc Al said:
We'll get to the solution soon enough. First find the angle.How do you get that? The diagram states that the wire is 50 degrees from the horizontal, so its angle with the beam must be even greater.

It would be 80 yes?

elitespart said:
It would be 80 yes?
Yes! Now how do you use that to calculate torque?

oh okay. so it's T*Lsin80 since force has to be perpendicular to the lever arm.

elitespart said:
so it's T*Lsin80 since force has to be perpendicular to the lever arm.
Good! And to relate it to your solution, sin80 = cos ?

Doc Al said:
Good! And to relate it to your solution, sin80 = cos ?

=cos10. Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

1. What is a rigid object?

A rigid object is an object that does not change shape or size when it is subjected to external forces. In other words, the distance between any two points on the object remains constant, even when the object is under stress.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a rigid object?

Equilibrium in a rigid object is achieved when all forces acting on the object cancel each other out, resulting in a state of balance. This means that the object is not accelerating or rotating.

3. What are the conditions for a rigid object to be in equilibrium?

In order for a rigid object to be in equilibrium, two conditions must be met: the net force acting on the object must be zero, and the net torque (or rotational force) acting on the object must also be zero.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium in rigid objects?

Static equilibrium occurs when a rigid object is at rest and the sum of all forces and torques acting on it is equal to zero. Dynamic equilibrium, on the other hand, occurs when a rigid object is in motion at a constant speed, and the net force and torque acting on it are still equal to zero.

5. How do you calculate the center of mass for a rigid object?

The center of mass for a rigid object can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up the object. This can be done using the formula: xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m is the mass of each individual particle and x is its position.