Does Rotational Rigidity Affect Angular Velocity Consistency?

In summary, a body rotating about a fixed axis does not have to be perfectly rigid for all points on the body to have the same angular velocity and angular acceleration.
9danny
Does a body rotating about a fixed axis has to be perfectly rigid for all points on the body to have the same angular velocity and the same angular acceleration? Why? :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, because the transmission of movement in a non-rigid body takes place basically from atom to atom...hence if you are too far ayway from the axis, there are regions that have still not been reached by the moving atoms, which have not transmitted their movement to the outer ones...maybe there is better explanation

Lets say the object was not rigid. Let's say a piece of jelly was rotating. If the jelly was initially not rotating and gradually attained a constant angular velocity,i.e it had an angular acceleration, do you think a point nearer to the axis would initially have had a higer or lower angular velocity, or equal?

I would think that a point near the axis would have more angular velocity at the beginning.. but does this means that for all the point in the object to have the same angular velocity and angular acceleration they'd have to be rigid?

That's a good question i thought i made a mistake...After some relfexion, I would say : if the ang. speed. is constant, then the body does not need to be rigid...in fact i think, in a real case, the body will modify itself during ang accel. at the beginning, and then reach an equilib. but this equib. final state at constant ang. speed is different than the body before you started to put it in rotation (maybe not for jelly, but for soft chocolate)...so the answer is : if you want same constant ang. speed (hence not the instantaneous one in an accel. case), it does not need to be rigid...but if you have an ang. accel, it needs...i think it's more correct, but there still lack some calculation, for example : does the ang. accel. to be everywhere the same need maybe not to be completely rigid, but some kind of special deformation are allowed...

Last edited:

1. What is a rigid rotational body?

A rigid rotational body is an object that rotates about a fixed axis without any change in its shape or size. This means that all points on the object move in circular paths with the same angular velocity.

2. What is the moment of inertia of a rigid rotational body?

The moment of inertia of a rigid rotational body is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution of the object and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

3. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity in a rigid rotational body?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest.

4. What is the difference between a fixed axis and a moving axis in a rigid rotational body?

A fixed axis is an axis that remains stationary, while a moving axis is an axis that changes its position. In a rigid rotational body, the motion is described with respect to a fixed axis, and the movement of the object may cause the axis to appear to move.

5. How does torque affect the motion of a rigid rotational body?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. The greater the torque applied, the greater the angular acceleration of the object. This means that the object will rotate faster or slower depending on the magnitude and direction of the torque.