Closing a Lorry Door: How Complicated Is It?

• Thread starter Feynmanfan
  • Start date
In summary, the rear door of a lorry will not close because of the acceleration. Elliptic integrals must be used to solve the problem.
Feynmanfan
Let's say we have a lorry and it's rear door is wide open (Pi angle). All of a sudden the lorry accelerates. How much time will it take the door to close?

I think I need elliptic integrals to solve this problem. Is it that complicated? How would you solve it?

THanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Infinity?

Just guessing here, but given that it's the rear door (at the back side of the lorry, right?), I suspect it wouldn't close at all...

The answer is t=3.03(L/a)^(1/2) where L is the length of the door and a the acceleration. But I don't have the foggiest how to solve it.

I send a picture of the lorry seen from above. Elliptic integrals have to be used. I'd be grateful if you could give me a hint!

Attachments

• lorry seen from above.bmp
    3.6 KB · Views: 514
Is it the conservation principle what I have to aplly here? Or just the movement equations of the rigid solid?

What's the problem?
To set up the differential equations leading to the elliptic integral, or the evaluation of that integral?

TO set up the differential equation. I don't really know what properties of the rigid solid to use. I know that elliptic integrals are to be used because the teacher has said it so.

Thanks for your help

All right:
1)It's easiest to do this in the rest frame of the lorry.
This is a NON-inertial reference frame, and if the acceleration of the lorry, measured in an inertial frame, is [tex]a\vec{i}[/tex] the door experiences, in the lorry's reference frame, a pseudo-force [tex]-ma\vec{i}[/tex] acting at the C.M of the lorry.
m is the mass of the door).

2) Consider now the torque produced by the pseudo-force about the hinge.
(Choosing the hinge as our point eliminates the need to estimate the forces acting on the door AT the hinge!)

Let the position vector of the C.M of the door, measured from the hinge be:
[tex]\vec{r}=\frac{L}{2}(\cos\theta(t)\vec{j}-\sin\theta(t)\vec{i})[/tex]
That is, at t=0, we set the angular displacement equal to zero, and L is the length of the door.
When the angle equals [tex]\pi[/tex] the door has closed.

The torque of the pseudo-force about the hinge is therefore:
[tex]\vec{r}\times(-ma\vec{i})=\frac{La}{2}\cos\theta(t)\vec{k}[/tex]

3. The moment-of momentum equation may therefor be written as follows, in scalar form:
[tex]m\frac{La}{2}\cos\theta=\frac{1}{3}mL^{2}\frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}}[/tex]
Or:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}}=\frac{3a}{2L}\cos\theta[/tex]

Our initial conditions reads:
[tex]\theta(0)=0,\dot{\theta}(0)=0[/tex]
("dot"-notation means temporal derivative)
We multiply our moment-of momentum equation with [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex], integrate the result from t=0 to an arbitrary t-value, and makeuse of the initial conditions:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\dot{\theta}(t))^{2}=\frac{3a}{2L}\sin\theta(t)[/tex]
Or, since we're only interested in the time period where [tex]\theta[/tex] increases up to [tex]\pi[/tex] we have:
[tex]\dot{\theta}=\sqrt{\frac{3a}{L}\sin\theta}[/tex]
We make a change of variables, and find that the period T must fulfill:
[tex]T=\int_{0}^{\pi}\sqrt{\frac{L}{3a}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{\sin\theta}}}[/tex]

Well, that comes up with the demonstration that Arildno must be a gurú of something. I don't know what, but he should be one.

Just a doubt: why do you have not considerated the aerodinamic drag?. In fact I would think that is the predominant force that enhances the door closing.

Ooops, I see, the lorry is first at rest. So I see, it will be logical to think that inertia forces close the door. Hmmm. But I'm not sure...

You're right about the drag, Clausius:
But do you REALLY think you'd end up with a nice little integral in that case?
I think drag is to be assumed negligible, in order to end up with a comparatively nice expression (not an uncommon feature with exercises..)

(It's basically the same equation you'd get with a pendulum swinging in a constant g-field)
Congratulations with the Engineer Award, BTW.

arildno said:
You're right about the drag, Clausius:
But do you REALLY think you'd end up with a nice little integral in that case?
I think drag is to be assumed negligible, in order to end up with a comparatively nice expression (not an uncommon feature with exercises..)

(It's basically the same equation you'd get with a pendulum swinging in a constant g-field)
Congratulations with the Engineer Award, BTW.

Sure it will be more difficult. You're right. Well, maybe Feynmanfan wants to spend this afternoon solving a pretty equation. He is spanish too, and today here is the Constitution Day (festive), so he won't have nothing to do apart of this... :rofl:

Gracias a todos!
THanks for the nice explanation. And you're right, CLausius. Today is the Constitution Day and here I am solving (trying to solve) problems.

1. How important is it to properly close a lorry door?

Properly closing a lorry door is extremely important for both safety and efficiency reasons. A securely closed door ensures that the cargo stays in place during transportation, preventing any potential accidents or damage. It also helps to maintain the aerodynamics of the lorry, which can improve fuel efficiency and reduce costs.

2. What are the steps involved in closing a lorry door?

The steps for closing a lorry door may vary depending on the type of lorry and door mechanism, but generally it involves pushing the door closed, latching it securely, and checking for any gaps or loose parts. It is also important to ensure that the door is properly aligned with the frame before closing it.

3. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when closing a lorry door?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when closing a lorry door. First, always make sure to have a clear path when closing the door to avoid hitting any objects or people. It is also important to use proper lifting techniques to avoid strain or injury. Additionally, be mindful of any potential hazards or malfunctions with the door mechanism.

4. What are some common issues that can arise from not properly closing a lorry door?

If a lorry door is not closed properly, it can lead to various issues such as cargo shifting during transportation, which can cause damage to the cargo or even cause the lorry to tip over. It can also result in increased air resistance, leading to decreased fuel efficiency and higher costs. In some cases, the door may even open while the lorry is in motion, posing a serious safety hazard.

5. Is there any regular maintenance that should be done on lorry doors?

Yes, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain lorry doors to ensure they are functioning properly. This includes checking for any loose or damaged parts, lubricating hinges and latches, and making any necessary repairs. Regular maintenance can help prevent any issues with closing the door and ensure safe and efficient transportation.