Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigidly rotating relativistic string

1. May 15, 2005 #1
    I am reading Zwiebach's 'a first course in string theory' and I have a question. As an example of a solution to the equations of motion he uses a rigidly rotating string with length l in the x-y plane with it's center at the origin. I would like to do some calculations using as parameters

[tex]\tau=t[/tex] and [tex]\sigma =s[/tex]

with s the distance from the origin, and t just time. s runs from -l/2 to l/2. This should be possible right, as I'm free to choose wich way to paramterize the string.

Now the solution is (given that the string lies along the x-axis at t=0) ofcourse:

[tex] \vec{X} (t,s) = s(cos(\omega t), sin(\omega t))[/tex]

As the endpoints are not tied down to anything I have to use free enpoint conditions wich means the endpoints move at the speed of light. This yields for the enpoints [tex]c= \omega l/2[/tex]. Futhermore you can calculate that l is related to the energy of the string E by:

[tex]\frac{2}{\pi} \frac{E}{T_0}[/tex]

With T0 the tension of the string. Now the solution is complete as both l and omega are found.

Now I would like to calculate the angular momentum, so I can find [itex]\alpha '[/tex] the constant of proprtianality between the angular momentum and the energy squared (in terms of hbar). I tried:

[tex]J= \int _{-l/2} ^{l/2} X_1 P_2 - X_2 P_1 ds [/tex] should be [tex]\frac{E^2}{2 \pi T_0 x}[/tex]

but now I don't know what expression to use for P the momentum density. I tried:

[tex]\vec{P} =\frac{T_0}{c^2} \frac{\partial \vec{X}}{\partial t}[/tex]

but this yields a result a factor 4/3pi off. So I guess there is something wrong with my expression for P. [itex]T_0/c^2[/itex] is the rest mass density of a relativistic string. But my string is moving, so I tried

[tex]\vec{P}=\gamma (v) \frac{T_0}{c^2} \frac{\partial \vec{X}}{\partial t}[/tex]

with [itex]v= \omega s[/itex], but this diverges bacause gamma explodes at the string endpoints. What's wrong? How to calculate the angular momentum using [itex] \sigma =s[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    would be nice to have an answer to this question....I would be very interested to see how alpha prime is derived.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?