1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Rigorous Combinatorics Book

1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    Hi, I am trying to find a completely rigorous book on combinatorics. For example, one that states the sum and product counting principles in terms of set theory and proves them, treats permutations as a bijection from a set onto itself, etc. Many don't even explain the reasoning behind those principles, taking them as mere informal facts, so rigorous set theoretic definitions and proofs could at least help my intuition. It seems that even those that try to be rigorous don't live up to it. For example, some don't prove the pigeonhole principle, or do it with informal reasoning in terms of bins/balls. Other times, the attempts at "proofs" are just plain "handwavy." Could someone recommend me a good book? Thanks in advance for any response.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A combinatorics book isn't what you want, you want a set theory book.

4. Mar 24, 2016 #3
    Try either Kunnen's Set Theory or Jech's Set Theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted