Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rigorous quantum mechanics

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    I want to relearn QM within a rigorous mathematical framework. What classes should I take? Off the top of my head, I expect that I'll need to know functional analysis and group theory. What else?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2
    I bought a book recently from Chapters, "The Mathematical Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Derek F. Lawden" for only 30$. I believe it is exactly what you are looking for. It is the size of a small novel and it will build up the mathematical principles of quantum mechanics from the ground up. It even has some stuff at the end of the book on relativistic quantum mechanics.
  4. Feb 14, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As to what classes you should take, certainly Linear Algebra would be necessary. Probability, surely.

Since you are talking about taking classes, I assume you are in a college now. Talk to people in the Physics department!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?