1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rimpull and velocity calculations

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Manufacturers of mining equipment supply rimpull vs speed curves. I need to be able to calculate rimpull in order to read speed from the graph. Using the graph isn't a problem, but I am trying to put the calculation into a software program that will calculate cycle times for the truck and using the graphs in Delphi are difficult.

2. Relevant equations
    Equation I'm currently using:
    Rimpull = [(weight of truck)*(grade of road )] + [(weight of truck) * rolling resistance)]

F(result uphill) = (coefficient of rolling resistance)(weight)+(weight(SIN(grade)))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can work out the forces needed to overcome resistance forces by using basic vector diagrams. This supplies me with the resultant forces going uphill or downhill. This force is in Newton, however, and rimpull is described as weight i.e. kg or tonne.

The equation I'm curently using seemed right, at first, but does not compare with controll data and answers.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?