1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring and commutative ring

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R be a ring. If any x in R satisfies xx=x, prove that R is a commutative ring.
    [1 is not necessarily in R in the definition of ring according to this particular book]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made some attempts but failed. I have ab=aabb=abab. However, a(ab-ba)b=0 does not implies ab-ba=0, since cancellation law does not necessarily hold...
    Any hint? I fail to draw any conclusion more than just ab=aabb=abab....

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm a bit rusty on this sort of thing, but haven't you shown that R is commutative? If you've got aabb=abab, then can't you just multiply on the left with a-1 and on the right with b-1, giving ab=ba?

Edit: Probably ignore that: rings don't necessarily have multiplicative inverses, do they?

4. Oct 17, 2008 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope.

Instead I'd first show that 2=0 in this ring. Then I'd think about how one would run into something that looks like ab-ba (=ab+ba) -- and especially something that involves squares.

5. Oct 17, 2008 #4
    1, I make no progress...
    2, since 1 is not required to be in the ring according to the definition of ring in this book ...perhaps, 2=0 is not necessarily be true, as it is proved (perhaps?) by 2=1+1 and is therefore in R. and 2=2*1=2*(2-1)=2*2-2*1=2-2=0
    Okay, now I find something weird...is it proper to write xx+x=x(x+1) if 1 is not in R? I'm getting more confused:confused: I'll check the book later.
    3, perhaps it is ok for me to assume 1 is in R. We will see whether and how 1 is used in a proof that works.
    4, I make no progress.....

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5
    Anyone?

7. Oct 21, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We don't need 1 to be in R.

(1) By considering (x+y)^2, prove that xy+yx=0.
    (2) Then prove that xy+xy=0.

Now here's a challenge for you: can you find a (nonzero) ring R without 1 such that x^2=x for all x in R?

8. Oct 22, 2008 #7
    Here's what I thought:
    R, {3k|k is integers} mod 6, is such a commutative ring without '1' in it. And we have 3*3=3, 0*0=0.
    however, it seems that 3 really acts as 1 in this ring, since 3*3=3 and 3*0=0. So it is not a ring without 1...but I've no idea how to get a ring without a real 1 at the moment...

BTW, I have one thing to clarify...If 1 is required in the definition of ring, should the subring inherit the same 1 from its original ring? I guess no. If yes, it would cause something strange...but I'm not quite sure about it right now..

back to the topic..could you give me hint to find a ring without 1 such that xx=x?

Thanks for all the help...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  9. Oct 27, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry for the late reply. I forgot about this thread!

I guess we're discussing this in your other thread.

Take the power set of some set S. Define A+B to be symmetric difference of A and B, and define AB to be the intersection of A and B. Verify that S is a ring and that AA=A for all A in S. S does have a '1' though - what is it?

Can you use this example to come up with a ring without 1 such that xx=x?

Or how about taking an infinite direct sum of copies of Z_2?

10. Oct 28, 2008 #9
    I've been thinking about The Boolean ring defined on S (since it is one of the few rings with the property xx=x that I know). However, if S is well defined, it seems that S is always the 1...
    I'll be thinking on this carefully later, and will raise another thread if I encounter problems. Thanks very much:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?