1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring homomorphism

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R and R' are rings and phi: R to R' is a ring homomorphism such that phi[R] is not identically 0'. Show that if R has unity 1 and R' has no 0 divisors, then phi(1) is a unity for R'.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Its relatively obviously why phi(1) has to be unity for the subring phi[R]. I don't see why phi(1)r' has to be r' for every r' in R'.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

CAN subring have an identity other than the ring identity?
  4. Feb 6, 2008 #3
    I don't know.

If S is a subring of R and 1 is a unity of S, then is it true that 1r=r for an r in R? I don't see why?

How do I use the fact that R' has no 0 divisors.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  5. Feb 6, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Recall that ehrenfest is not using the usual notion of a 'ring'; he uses a variant that omits '1' from the definition. So if the ring and subring have '1', his definition of subring doesn't require them to be the same.

There is a simple example of a subring with a different unit: consider the ring of 2x2 matrices, and the subring of those whose upper-left entry is the only nonzero.
  6. Feb 6, 2008 #5
    And in that example, there are zero divisors. Use the fact that lack of zero divisors admits a cancellation rule, i.e., r's' = r't' => s' = t'.

At least, I think that's right.
  7. Feb 6, 2008 #6
    A subring is a subset of R that is also a ring under + and *.

Now, how to solve the problem...

EDIT: sorry I didn't read the post above this when I wrote that
  8. Feb 6, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If nothing springs to mind, then just try exploring. e.g. what properties does the unit of a subring have?
  9. Feb 6, 2008 #8
    Here is the proof that if R is a ring with no 0 divisors and S is a nonzero subring of R with unity 1, then 1 MUST be a unity of R:

11=1 implies that r11=r1 implies that r1=r by cancellation

11=1 implies that 11r=1r implies that 1r=r by cancellation

Is that right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?