Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring homomorphism

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    what are all the ring homomorphism from Z[X] to Z[X]. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are all the ring homomorphisms from Z[X] to R for a ring R? If you can't do that, then you can't do this problem.

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    Dear Hurkyl,
    While I (I hope) do see the point behind you remark, quite frankly I do not appreciate it as it is redundant. I am genuinely asking for help and you are conjecturing when one is not able to solve this problem. I thank you

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looked like a request for an answer, not a request for help -- it is strictly against our policy to hand out answers to homework problems.

My response was meant in all seriousness -- you should have seen in your class a very powerful theorem about homomorphisms from polynomial rings. And sometimes, it's easier to find/work out a solution when you consider the general case without regard to the specific. I assume from your response that you were able to recall the answer? (or able to track it down in your book?)

6. Dec 10, 2009 #5
    Okay, thank you. I will review

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook