Find All Ring Homomorphisms f: Z[√2] → Z 7

In summary, the person is asking for the definition of a homomorphism, and for someone who does not know what a homomorphism is, they suggest starting from the definitions. They provide a summary of the conversation, and end the summary with "If you start from the definitions, you will get the answers."
andy1224
I need to find all the ring homomorphisms of f:Z[sqrt(2)]->Z 7

basically I don't even know where to start. any suggestions would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Yes, *you* need to find them, and *you* need to tell us what *you* have done, and *you* need to stop posting the same question in more than one place.

You start, as always, with the definitions of the objects in question. So what are they, and what is a homomorphism?

wow.
1- yes *I* do need to find them so I'm not really sure about why you enjoy using the * key so much but yeah..
2- its my first time using this so I'm sincerely sorry that it's in two places
3- I didn't give the definition of a homormorphism since not only is it pretty common for anyone who has done group/ring theory but I also figured that if someone didn't know what a homomorphism is then they would most likely not be able to help me in the first place
4- there aren't really definitions of Z[sqrt(2)], again you either know what it is or you don't depending on how much group/ring theory you've done.
5- I haven't started it which is why I said "I don't know where to start" or else I would've showed what I've done.

so yeah thanks for your informative post. I just didn't know how to start the problem. I wasn't looking for just the answer- but thanks for assuming I was.

Asking you what the definition is is important. What others know isn't important. It is what you know. So put down the definitions. (This also serves to make sure you have the correct things in mind, and are attempting to prove what you actually need to prove).

If you start from the definitions, you will get the answers.

So, what are the definitions?

Z[sqrt(2)] = a+b*sqrt(2) for a, b in Z. What do you need to do to specify where a homomorphism sends any element of Z[sqrt(2)]?

Try to find something that satsifies the definition of a homomorphism. The definitions are the place to start. You might want to explain what you mean by Z 7 as well, since that doesn't make any sense. Do you mean Z/7Z, or Z_(7) or Z_7 (_ is ascii for subscript)? Those are all (to different people) different things: the integers mod 7 the 7-locals and the 7-adics.

Last edited:

1. What is a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function between two rings that preserves the ring structure. This means that it maps addition to addition and multiplication to multiplication.

2. What is Z[√2]?

Z[√2] is the set of all numbers of the form a + b√2, where a and b are integers. It is a subring of the real numbers and is closed under addition and multiplication.

3. What is the domain and codomain of the ring homomorphism f: Z[√2] → Z 7?

The domain of the ring homomorphism is Z[√2], which is the set of all numbers of the form a + b√2. The codomain is Z 7, which is the set of integers modulo 7.

4. How are ring homomorphisms related to group homomorphisms?

Ring homomorphisms are a generalization of group homomorphisms. Just like group homomorphisms preserve the group structure, ring homomorphisms preserve the ring structure. This means that they also preserve the group structure of the underlying additive group of the ring.

5. How do you find all ring homomorphisms from Z[√2] to Z 7?

To find all ring homomorphisms from Z[√2] to Z 7, you can start by considering the possible images of 1 and √2. Since 1 and √2 generate the ring Z[√2], any ring homomorphism is completely determined by the images of 1 and √2. There are only a finite number of possibilities for these images, so you can check each one to see if it satisfies the conditions for a ring homomorphism.