Proving Ring Isomorphism using the First Isomorphism Theorem

In summary: I don't know, could you explain to me why 1 is the minimal polynomial? I'm trying to understand this concept as much as I can.Also, it's not that I'm new to this, but I'm not an expert. This is the first time I'm seeing the first isomorphism theorem. Everything else is review for me.I don't know, could you explain to me why 1 is the minimal polynomial? I'm trying to understand this concept as much as I can.Also, it's not that I'm new to this, but I'm not an expert. This is the first time I'm seeing the first isomorphism theorem. Everything else is review for me.Sure. The minimal polynomial of ##
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The question : http://gyazo.com/5372336302b5ef289b305172bcd16a2a

Homework Equations

First Isomorphism theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Define [itex]\phi : \mathbb{Q}[x]/<x^2-2> → Q[ \sqrt{2} ] \space | \space \phi (f(x)) = f( \sqrt{2})[/itex]

So showing phi is a homomorphism is quite easy so I'll skip those details.

My question lies in my argument for phi being a bijection. I COULD show it's 1-1 and onto which would mean it's an isomorphism, but I need practice with the first isomorphism theorem so I'm going to try it and hope I know what's going on.

So, I believe I need to show phi is onto and then argue about the kernel.

To show phi is onto, suppose (a+b√2) is in Q[√2] and f(x) is in Q[x]/<x2-2> so that f(x) = ax+b.

Now, [itex]\phi (f(x)) = f( \sqrt{2}) = a + b \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Hence for every a+b√2 in Q[√2] there exists f(x) in Q[x]/<x2-2> such that phi(f(x)) = a+b√2.

Hence phi is onto.

Now consider that ker(phi) = { f(x) in Q[x]/<x2-2> | f(√2) = 0 }. Since x2-2 is in ker(phi) and x2-2 is of the smallest degree, we conclude that ker(phi) = x2-2 and hence by the first isomorphism theorem, Q[x]/<x2-2> is isomorphic to Q[√2].

This is my first time trying to apply the theorem rather than doing it the long way of showing 1-1 and onto correspondence.

If anyone could tell me where I may have went wrong or if it looks good, it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your domain for ##\phi## is incorrect. It should be
$$\phi : \mathbb{Q}[x] \rightarrow Q[\sqrt{2}]$$
The polynomial ##f(x)## is in ##\mathbb{Q}[x]##, not ##\mathbb{Q}[x]/\langle x^2 - 2\rangle##.

jbunniii said:
Your domain for ##\phi## is incorrect. It should be
$$\phi : \mathbb{Q}[x] \rightarrow Q[\sqrt{2}]$$
The polynomial ##f(x)## is in ##\mathbb{Q}[x]##, not ##\mathbb{Q}[x]/\langle x^2 - 2\rangle##.

Ah this makes sense to me.

It wouldn't make sense for my f(x) to be inside a set of cosets. So supposing I switch all instances of Q[x]/<x2-2> to Q[x]. Does the argument still apply?

Zondrina said:
Ah this makes sense to me.

It wouldn't make sense for my f(x) to be inside a set of cosets. So supposing I switch all instances of Q[x]/<x2-2> to Q[x]. Does the argument still apply?
Yes, your argument is fine. However, I suggest being a bit more explicit in your argument about the kernel of ##\phi##. Perhaps something along the following lines: "the kernel of ##\phi## is an ideal, and ##\mathbb{Q}[x]## is a principal ideal domain, so we know the kernel is generated by a single element of ##\mathbb{Q}[x]##, namely the minimal polynomial of ##\sqrt{2}##. The minimal polynomial of ##\sqrt{2}## is ##x^2 - 2## because..."

jbunniii said:
Yes, your argument is fine. However, I suggest being a bit more explicit in your argument about the kernel of ##\phi##. Perhaps something along the following lines: "the kernel of ##\phi## is an ideal, and ##\mathbb{Q}[x]## is a principal ideal domain, so we know the kernel is generated by a single element of ##\mathbb{Q}[x]##, namely the minimal polynomial of ##\sqrt{2}##. The minimal polynomial of ##\sqrt{2}## is ##x^2 - 2## because..."

because (√2)2 - 2 = 0 so that x2-2 = ker(phi) (i.e x2-2 generates ker(phi)).

Zondrina said:
because (√2)2 - 2 = 0 so that x2-2 = ker(phi) (i.e x2-2 generates ker(phi)).
To be more precise, ##x^2 - 2## satisfies the definition of the minimal polynomial for ##\sqrt{2}##: (1) it is monic, (2) ##\sqrt{2}## is a root, and (3) if ##p(x)## is a monic polynomial of smaller degree, then ##\sqrt{2}## cannot be a root of ##p(x)## because...

(This may seem obvious, but if it's one of your first homework assignments on this material, being pedantic is never a bad idea.)

jbunniii said:
To be more precise, ##x^2 - 2## satisfies the definition of the minimal polynomial for ##\sqrt{2}##: (1) it is monic, (2) ##\sqrt{2}## is a root, and (3) if ##p(x)## is a monic polynomial of smaller degree, then ##\sqrt{2}## cannot be a root of ##p(x)## because...

(This may seem obvious, but if it's one of your first homework assignments on this material, being pedantic is never a bad idea.)

Woah, now this was never mentioned in the book, but a quick read up on wiki has informed me of what you mean.

(1) Is satsified because the coefficient of the highest powered term is 1.
(2) (√2)2 - 2 = 0 so √2 is a root of x2-2.
(3) If p(x) is a monic polynomial of smaller degree, then √2 cannot be a root of p(x) because the only polynomials of smaller degree are of degree 1 and the constant polynomial. i.e either p(x) = ax + b or p(x) = a for some constant a.

Thus p(√2) = a√2 + b or p(√2) = a which tells us that x2-2 is indeed the minimal polynomial.

Zondrina said:
Thus p(√2) = a√2 + b or p(√2) = a which tells us that x2-2 is indeed the minimal polynomial.
Right, if ##p(x) \in \mathbb{Q}[x]## is a monic polynomial of degree 1, then it is of the form ##p(x) = x + a##. If we had ##p(\sqrt{2}) = 0## then that means ##\sqrt{2} + a = 0##, or ##\sqrt{2} = -a##, a contradiction because ##a## is rational and ##\sqrt{2}## is not.

And the only monic polynomial of degree 0 is ##p(x) = 1##, which clearly does not satisfy ##p(\sqrt{2}) = 0##, so this tells us that ##x^2 - 2## is indeed the minimal polynomial.

By the way, if this is all new to you, you may want to take a few minutes to convince yourself why we say "the" minimal polynomial, i.e., why is it unique? Can't there be some other monic polynomial of degree 2 with ##\sqrt{2}## as a root?

jbunniii said:
Right, if ##p(x) \in \mathbb{Q}[x]## is a monic polynomial of degree 1, then it is of the form ##p(x) = x + a##. If we had ##p(\sqrt{2}) = 0## then that means ##\sqrt{2} + a = 0##, or ##\sqrt{2} = -a##, a contradiction because ##a## is rational and ##\sqrt{2}## is not.

And the only monic polynomial of degree 0 is ##p(x) = 1##, which clearly does not satisfy ##p(\sqrt{2}) = 0##, so this tells us that ##x^2 - 2## is indeed the minimal polynomial.

By the way, if this is all new to you, you may want to take a few minutes to convince yourself why we say "the" minimal polynomial, i.e., why is it unique? Can't there be some other monic polynomial of degree 2 with ##\sqrt{2}## as a root?

I had a look over the proof for uniqueness and this line jumped at me :

"there is at least one polynomial in ker(subα) that generates ker(subα). Such a polynomial will have least degree among all non-zero polynomials in ker(subα), and a(x) is taken to be the unique monic polynomial among these."

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_polynomial_(field_theory)

Here's a simple proof of uniqueness. If ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## both satisfy the requirements of a minimal polynomial for ##\sqrt{2}##, then ##r(x) = p(x) - q(x)## is also a polynomial satisfying ##r(\sqrt{2}) = 0##, and the degree of ##r(x)## is strictly lower than that of ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## because the leading coefficients of ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## are both 1, so the leading term cancels when you subtract them.

If ##r(x)## is not the zero polynomial, then we can normalize it by dividing by its leading coefficient, thereby obtaining a monic polynomial satisfying ##r(\sqrt{2}) = 0##. This contradicts the minimality of ##p(x)## and ##q(x)##. We conclude that ##r(x)## must be the zero polynomial, so ##p(x) = q(x)##.

jbunniii said:
Here's a simple proof of uniqueness. If ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## both satisfy the requirements of a minimal polynomial for ##\sqrt{2}##, then ##r(x) = p(x) - q(x)## is also a polynomial satisfying ##r(\sqrt{2}) = 0##, and the degree of ##r(x)## is strictly lower than that of ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## because the leading coefficients of ##p(x)## and ##q(x)## are both 1, so the leading term cancels when you subtract them.

If ##r(x)## is not the zero polynomial, then we can normalize it by dividing by its leading coefficient, thereby obtaining a monic polynomial satisfying ##r(\sqrt{2}) = 0##. This contradicts the minimality of ##p(x)## and ##q(x)##. We conclude that ##r(x)## must be the zero polynomial, so ##p(x) = q(x)##.

That's a lot better and easier to follow for sure. So since p = q, the minimal polynomial is monic and unique.

By the way, we can also make a direct argument for why the kernel is equal to ##\langle x^2 - 2\rangle##, without mentioning minimal polynomials. We just use the fact that we already established, namely that if ##p(x)## is a polynomial of degree less than 2, such that ##p(\sqrt{2}) = 0##, then ##p(x)## must be the zero polynomial.

First, note that the kernel consists precisely of those polynomials ##p(x)## for which ##p(\sqrt{2}) = 0##.

If ##p(x)## is an element of ##\langle x^2 - 2\rangle##, that means ##p(x) = (x^2 - 2)q(x)##, where ##q(x)## is a polynomial in ##Q[x]##, and evaluating at ##x = \sqrt{2}## shows that ##p(\sqrt{2}) = 0##, so ##p(x)## is in the kernel. Therefore ##\langle x^2 - 2 \rangle \subset \textrm{ker}(\phi)##.

Conversely, if ##p(x) \in \textrm{ker}(\phi)##, then by the division algorithm, we may write ##p(x) = q(x)(x^2 - 2) + r(x)##, where the degree of ##r(x)## is strictly less than the degree of ##x^2 - 2##. But ##r(x) = p(x) - q(x)(x^2 - 2)##, so ##r(\sqrt{2}) = 0##, which means ##r(x) \in \textrm{ker}(\phi)##. We already established that this forces ##r(x)## to be the zero polynomial. Thus ##p(x) = q(x)(x^2 - 2)##, which shows that ##p(x) \in \langle x^2 - 2 \rangle##. Thus ##\textrm{ker}(\phi) \subset \langle x^2 - 2 \rangle## and we're done.

1. What is a ring isomorphism?

A ring isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a special type of relationship between two rings. It is a bijective map between two rings that preserves the ring structure, meaning that it maintains the same operations and properties of the rings.

2. How is a ring isomorphism proven?

A ring isomorphism is typically proven by showing that the two rings have the same underlying structure and that there exists a bijective map between them that preserves the ring operations. This is often done using algebraic properties and equations to show that the two rings are equivalent.

3. What is the significance of ring isomorphism?

Ring isomorphism is important in mathematics because it allows us to identify and compare different rings that share similar structures. It also allows us to simplify complex rings by finding isomorphic rings that are easier to work with.

4. What types of rings can be isomorphic?

Any type of ring can be isomorphic to another ring, as long as they have the same underlying structure and the necessary bijective map can be found. This includes commutative rings, non-commutative rings, and rings with or without unity.

5. Can two rings be isomorphic if they have different elements?

Yes, two rings can be isomorphic even if they have different elements. The key factor in determining isomorphism is the structure and properties of the rings, not the specific elements within them.