1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring problem

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    I am having a problem with some abstract algebra and I was wondering if anyone could help and give me some insight. The problem is as follows:

Give an explanation for your answer, long proof not needed:
    Determine U(Z[x])
    Determine U(R[x])

These are in regards to rings. I know for U(Z[x]) it is something like f(x)=1 g(x)=-1 but I don't know why.

As for U(R[x]) I am rather stuck. Any help or nudging in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2
    For the first case suppose [tex]f \in \mathbb{Z}[x][/tex] is a unit. Then there exists another element [tex]g \in \mathbb{Z}[x][/tex] such that fg=1. If deg f > 0 what can you say about the degree of fg? Can fg be the multiplicative identity when deg fg >0? If deg f = 0 what can we say about f and g?

Similar considerations suffice for the ring of polynomials with real coefficients.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook