1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring: Proof of Group

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R be the ring of all 2*2 matrices, over Zp, p a prime. Let G be the set of elements x in the ring R such that det x ≠ 0. Prove that G is a group.

2. Relevant equations
    Matrix is invertible in ring R.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Group properties and ring properties are similar I think.
    Group and Ring - closure, associativity, identity (zero in Rings?)
    Is this how I am supposed to approach the problem? By proving the common properties of a group and ring?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##G## will be a group under multiplication, not addition. So you can ignore the addition and address the following questions:

1. What is the multiplicative identity? Is it contained in ##G##?
    2. Is matrix multiplication associative?
    3. Is the set of matrices with nonzero determinant closed under multiplication and inverses?

Hint for part 3: can you prove and apply the identities ##\det(AB) = \det(A)\det(B)## and ##\det(I) = 1##?

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The elements of G already belong to a ring, so these elements already satisfy all of the properties of a ring (which must include an addition operation and a multiplication operation). If you list the properties that a group must satisfy, this should be pretty easy to prove.

Groups are much more basic than rings.

5. Aug 5, 2014 #4
    1. Multiplicative identity in a ring is 1, right? But 1 is not in G, because G consists of the set of matrices for which ad - bc ≠ 0, but (1) is not a 2*2 matrix.
    2. Yes; [(ab)c]ij = (ab)ik ckj = (ailblk)ckj = ail(blkckj) = ail(bc)lj = [a(bc)]ij
    3. Yes, for A= (a b c d), and B= (e f g h), it was proven that det(A)det(B)=det(AB), and det(I)= 1 by 1/ad-bc (ad-bc 0 0 ad-bc) since 1/ad-bc where ad-bc≠0 is the inverse of matrix M. The set is closed.

6. Aug 5, 2014 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We often use the notation "1" for the multiplicative identity in a ring, but it doesn't have to literally mean the number 1. In this case, the ring consists of 2x2 matrices over ##Z_p##, so if there is an identity, it must be a 2x2 matrix over ##Z_p##. What is the definition of "identity"?

Seems like there are some ##\sum## symbols missing?
    Where did you use the fact that the matrix elements are from ##Z_p## (where ##p## is prime), as opposed to ##Z_n## for some nonprime integer? Also, can you explain in more detail how you concluded that the set is closed? How do the determinant formulas prove this?

7. Aug 5, 2014 #6
    It means 1*n = n. The identity should be (1 0 0 1).

Sorry, I completely forgot to insert them.

I failed to mention that the elements are from Zp, p being a prime. Zp is a field if and only if p is prime, and the properties hold true because of this.
    Since the determinant is nonzero, and the inverse has been solved for: Det(M)* I = 1, the set is closed under multiplication and inverses. A group must contain an element and its inverse, which this set of matrices does.

8. Aug 5, 2014 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This equation doesn't make any sense. If I is the identity matrix, then the left hand side is a matrix. But the right hand side is (apparently) the scalar 1.
    Why? Suppose that ##A \in G##. You need to explain in detail why ##A^{-1}## exists, and why ##A^{-1} \in G##.

Similarly, suppose that ##A,B \in G##. Why is ##AB \in G##?

9. Aug 5, 2014 #8
    M * M-1 = I. The original matrix times its inverse is equal to the Identity Matrix.

If an element exists, then its inverse must exist because the identity element is always in a group (definition of group).
    Groups are always closed under products, as well.

10. Aug 5, 2014 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. How do you know that ##M## has an inverse?
    2. How do you know that ##\det(M^{-1}) \neq 0##?
    But your goal is to prove that ##G## is a group. You are effectively arguing that "it's a group because it's a group."

11. Aug 5, 2014 #10
    M has an inverse because M= (a b c d) has another matrix such that M * (other matrix) = Identity Matrix. We know that the det(M-1) ≠ 0 because det(M) ≠0, and 1/det(M)≠0, ever. This ring is specifically an integral domain, I believe.

The property of a ring is closure under multiplication and identity exists.
    So since the ring is a subgroup of the M(2*2) then it is a group itself.

12. Aug 5, 2014 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you know this is true? It would not be true if the matrix elements were from ##Z_n## where ##n## is not prime.
    OK, so you're using ##\det(M)\det(M^{-1}) = \det(M M^{-1}) = \det(I) = 1##. You need to state this more explicitly.
    An integral domain is commutative by definition. Matrix multiplication is not commutative.
    What ring is a subgroup of ##M_{2\times 2}##? I'm not following your logic. You need to explain why ##G## is closed under multiplication. If ##A## and ##B## are two matrices with nonzero determinant, what can you say about ##\det(AB)##?

13. Aug 5, 2014 #12
    If Det(A) ≠0 and Det(B)≠0, then Det(AB)≠0 too.

14. Aug 5, 2014 #13

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

...because ##\det(AB) = \det(A)\det(B)##. And how do you know that if ##\det(A)## and ##\det(B)## are nonzero, then so is ##\det(A)\det(B)##? Keep in mind that we are working in ##Z_p##, not the real numbers, so you have to justify what may seem like standard facts. Again, this would not be true in ##Z_n## for nonprime ##n##.

15. Aug 5, 2014 #14
    For A, B in Zp, where p is prime, Det(A)Det(B) = Det(AB).

16. Aug 6, 2014 #15

pasmith

Homework Helper

No, it's true for every matrix ring that [itex]\det(AB) = \det(A)\det(B)[/itex]. The question here is: if [itex]\det(A)[/itex] and [itex]\det(B)[/itex] are both non-zero, is it necessarily the case that [itex]\det(A)\det(B)[/itex] is non-zero?

This is equivalent to showing that, for [itex]a \in \mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] and [itex]b \in \mathbb{Z}_p[/itex], if [itex]a \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]b \neq 0[/itex] then [itex]ab \neq 0[/itex].

This isn't true for general [itex]\mathbb{Z}_n[/itex]: for example in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{10}[/itex] we have [itex]2 \times 5 = 0[/itex]. So what's special about [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] for prime [itex]p[/itex]?

EDIT: You may also at some point want to make use of the fact that in any ring of 2x2 matrices, [tex]
    \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}
    \begin{pmatrix} d & -b \\ -c & a \end{pmatrix}
    = \begin{pmatrix} ad - bc & 0 \\ 0 & ad - bc \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex] and [tex]
    \det \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} = ad - bc.
    [/tex]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  17. Aug 8, 2014 #16
    Is G, technically the non-abelian group GL(2, R)? I approached this problem in that manner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted