1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring question

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R be a ring and suppose there exists a positive even integer n such that x^n = x for

every x in R. Show that -x = x for every x in R.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the case where n = 2.

Let x be in R.

(x+x)^2= x+x = 2x,

(x+x)^2 = 4x^2 = 4x.

So 4x = 2x and 2x = 0. Done.

I tried using this same method when n = 4 and got nowhere.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2009 #2
    Let [tex] n = 2k [/tex]. What's [tex] (-x)^{2k} [/tex]?

(By the way, the proof you have for [tex] n = 2 [/tex] doesn't work for noncommutative rings. The above hint suggests a method that does. Can you see why?)

4. May 28, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the hint. That works. But why does my proof for n=2 not work for noncommutative rings? Since the only terms in the expansion of (x+x)^2 are powers of x, I don't think I ever used commutativity.

5. May 28, 2009 #4
    Yeah...you're right. I read your work as [tex] (x + x)^2 = (2x)^2 = 2^2 x^2 = 4 x^2 [/tex]; my only point was that in a noncommutative ring, [tex] (ab)^k \neq a^k b^k [/tex] in general. However, I suppose it's true that [tex] [(n \cdot 1) b]^k = (n^k \cdot 1) b^k [/tex] for natural numbers [tex] n [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook