Ring Theory: Eisenstein's Criterion & Z[x]/pZ[x]

In summary, the discussion was about the quotient ring Z[x]/pZ[x] where Z[x] is the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients and pZ[x] is the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients divisible by a prime number p. The confusion was about the proof of Eisenstein's criterion and the use of pZ[x] in the proof. The conversation concluded with the understanding that the proof is valid for any ring and that the use of pZ[x] is simply the definition of product in the quotient ring.
Mathguy15
Hello,

I wanted to know something regarding the quotient ring Z[x]/pZ[x], where Z[x] is the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients and pZ[x], for a prime number p, is the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients divisible by p. I'm currently working through some notes on Applying Basic Abstract Algebra to Problems of Number Theory, and I don't understand the proof of Eisenstein's criterion. My confusion hinges upon this issue. The author of the notes says that if p(x) is a reducible polynomial with integer coefficients, then p(x)+Z[x]={q(x)+Z[x]}{r(x)+Z[x]}, where q(x) and r(x) are elements of Z[x] such that q(x)r(x)=p(x). Now, I know this seems really basic, but I have a question: Doesn't this hold for general integers rather than prime numbers? Must p be prime?

Thanks,
Mathguy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathguy15 said:
Hello,

I wanted to know something regarding the quotient ring Z[x]/pZ[x], where Z[x] is the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients and pZ[x], for a prime number p, is the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients divisible by p. I'm currently working through some notes on Applying Basic Abstract Algebra to Problems of Number, and I don't understand the proof of Eisenstein's criterion. My confusion hinges upon this issue. The author of the notes says that if p(x) is a reducible polynomial with integer coefficients, then p(x)+Z[x]={q(x)+Z[x]}{r(x)+Z[x]}, where q(x) and r(x) are elements of Z[x] such that q(x)r(x)=p(x). Now, I know this seems really basic, but I have a question: Doesn't this hold for general integers rather than prime numbers? Must p be prime?

Thanks,
Mathguy

Where in what you quoted is the word "prime" written? If [itex]\,\,f(x)\in\mathbb Z[x]\,\,[/itex] is reducible then [itex]\,\,\exists q(x)\,,\,r(x)\in\mathbb Z[x]\,\,[/itex] s.t.

[itex]f(x)=q(x)r(x)[/itex] . Why you add to each term in this equation the [itex]\,\,+\mathbb Z[x]\,\,[/itex] is beyond my comprehension, but I can try to guess that

what the book/you is/are really trying to convey is that from the last equality it follows at once that [tex]f(x)+p\mathbb Z[x]=\left(q(x)+p\mathbb Z[x]\right)\left(r(x)+p\mathbb Z[x]\right)[/tex] which is an equality in the quotient ring [itex]\,\,\mathbb Z[x]/p\mathbb Z[x]\cong \left(\mathbb Z/p\mathbb Z\right)[x][/itex] .

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Where in what you quoted is the word "prime" written? If [itex]\,\,f(x)\in\mathbb Z[x]\,\,[/itex] is reducible then [itex]\,\,\exists q(x)\,,\,r(x)\in\mathbb Z[x]\,\,[/itex] s.t.

[itex]f(x)=q(x)r(x)[/itex] . Why you add to each term in this equation the [itex]\,\,+\mathbb Z[x]\,\,[/itex] is beyond my comprehension, but I can try to guess that

what the book/you is/are really trying to convey is that from the last equality it follows at once that [tex]f(x)+p\mathbb Z[x]=\left(q(x)+p\mathbb Z[x]\right)\left(r(x)+p\mathbb Z[x]\right)[/tex] which is an equality in the quotient ring [itex]\,\,\mathbb Z[x]/p\mathbb Z[x]\cong \left(\mathbb Z/p\mathbb Z\right)[x][/itex] .

DonAntonio

Sorry, I meant to add pZ[x] to each term. Regarding the equality you stated, doesn't that hold more generally, or is it special to primes because pZ[x] is a prime ideal?

Thanks,
mathguy

Mathguy15 said:
Sorry, I meant to add pZ[x] to each term. Regarding the equality you stated, doesn't that hold more generally, or is it special to primes because pZ[x] is a prime ideal?

Thanks,
mathguy

If you meant the equality [itex]\,\,f(x)=q(x)r(x)\,\,[/itex] then this is the meaning of "the element f(x) is reducible" in any ring , or when

it is given that the element q(x) divides the element f(x)...and this much is true for any kind of elements in a ring, not only polynomials.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
If you meant the equality [itex]\,\,f(x)=q(x)r(x)\,\,[/itex] then this is the meaning of "the element f(x) is reducible" in any ring , or when

it is given that the element q(x) divides the element f(x)...and this much is true for any kind of elements in a ring, not only polynomials.

DonAntonio

Oh, sorry again, I'm being awfully slow today. I meant the equality f(x)+pZ[x]={q(x)+pZ[x]}{r(x)+pZ[x]}. Doesn't this hold more generally for integers rather prime numbers?

Mathguy15 said:
Oh, sorry again, I'm being awfully slow today. I meant the equality f(x)+pZ[x]={q(x)+pZ[x]}{r(x)+pZ[x]}. Doesn't this hold more generally for integers rather prime numbers?

Oh, this is only the definition of product in the quotient ring [itex]\,\,\mathbb{Z}[x]/p\mathbb{Z}[x]\,\,[/itex] ...

I don't understand your question about integers and primes,

DonAntonio

Oh, well, I understand the argument used to prove Eisenstein's criterion now. My original question is now irrelevant.

Thanks for the help, though.

1. What is Ring Theory?

Ring Theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies algebraic structures called rings. Rings consist of a set of elements and two operations, addition and multiplication, that follow certain rules. Ring Theory is used to study and understand the properties and behaviors of rings.

2. What is Eisenstein's Criterion?

Eisenstein's Criterion is a theorem in Ring Theory that provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a polynomial to be irreducible over a ring. It states that if a polynomial has integer coefficients, is monic (leading coefficient is 1), and has a prime number p that divides all coefficients except the leading one, then the polynomial is irreducible over the ring of integers.

3. How is Eisenstein's Criterion used in Ring Theory?

Eisenstein's Criterion is an important tool in Ring Theory for determining whether a polynomial is irreducible over a given ring. It is often used in conjunction with other theorems and techniques to prove theorems and solve problems in Ring Theory.

4. What is Z[x]/pZ[x] in Ring Theory?

Z[x]/pZ[x] is a notation used in Ring Theory to represent the quotient ring, or residue class ring, of polynomial ring Z[x] modulo a prime number p. It consists of all polynomials with integer coefficients, where the coefficients are taken modulo p. This notation is often used in the context of Eisenstein's Criterion.

5. How is Z[x]/pZ[x] used in the context of Eisenstein's Criterion?

In the context of Eisenstein's Criterion, Z[x]/pZ[x] is used to represent the ring over which the polynomial is being studied. The criterion states that the polynomial must be irreducible over this ring in order for it to be applied. By using this notation, the criterion can be applied to a wide range of polynomial rings, making it a powerful tool in Ring Theory.