1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring theory

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    I don´t know how to solve it. Thanks beforehand

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

probably -1 should not be a square in K.

4. Aug 12, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The quartions are a degree 2 (non abelian) extension over the complex numbers:

H=C[j] with the rule ij=-ji

So, whether -1 is or is not a square is not important.

I can't say I understand the question at all. The only thing you need, surely, is for k to be a subfield of the quaternions. Is the extension supposed to be finite? What does pruned mean?

5. Aug 12, 2007 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well they are also a 4 dimensional extension of the reals generated by 1 and 3 square roots of -1, so i thought maybe he was trying to describe which property of the reals was needed?

so if we just follow hamilton, we start from a field F and introduce 3 new elements i,j,k such that i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = -1, and set ij=k, jk=i. ki =j. ji=-k, kj=-i, ik=-j.

then extend this linearly as a definition of multiplication on the vector space F^4 with vector basis 1,i,j,k. the question becomes i guess whether this is division ring or not? so i would look at the formula for the inverse of an element and see if it makes sense, or needs some assumptions on F?

e.g. when defining the inverse of a complex number you need to divide by the sum of the squares of the coefficients, i.e. the ionverse of a+bi has denominator a^2 + b^2. so with a quaternion you seem to need that if 4 elements of your field are not all zero, then the sum of their squares is not zero. this requires e.g. that the field not admit a square root of -1.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?