Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ringed star?

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    Might there somewhere in the galaxy by a star with a giant set of rings, just like those of our own saturn, only much bigger?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean... like an asteroid belt? Or maybe a protoplanetary disk?

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Perhaps, but the star would probably need some moon-sized or planet-sized bodies the herd the materials forming the rings so that they don't coalesce due to gravitation. Also, the materials forming the rings would have to be sized such that they could resist radiative pressure from the star and not get pushed away. Stars appear to be able to clear their environs of dusts quite efficiently.

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    I believe the blue-giant star Acheron has a gas torus ring around it?

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you mean a star with rings that are proportionally as big and as far away as Saturn's - about 1-2 radii out - that's impossible. That close to a star and it's far too hot for ice (the material of Saturn's rings) to survive.

If you're talking about something more like an asteroid belt, sure - in fact our sun has one.

7. Sep 20, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I am unfamiliar with any star of that name. (And it's an odd name for a star, as it refers to a river in Hades, and the ancients usually didn't put hadean features in the sky) Do you have it's Bayer designation?

8. Sep 20, 2009 #7
    I apologise, I meant Achernar (Alpha Eridani)! (doh!)

Interesting star.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook