Rings Isomorphism: Proving R & R_2 Subrings of Z & M_2(Z)

In summary, you need to show that R is a subring of Z(integer), that R_{2} is a subring of M_{2} (Z), and that the mapping from R to R_{2} is an isomorphism.
dreamer.ande
3. Let [tex]R = a+b \sqrt{2}[/tex] , a,b is integer and let [tex]R_{2}[/tex] consist of all 2 x 2
matrices of the form [tex][\begin{array}{cc} a & 2b \\ b & a \\ \end{array} }][/tex]

Show that R is a subring of [tex]Z(integer)[/tex] and [tex]R_{2}[/tex] is a subring of [tex]M_{2} (Z)[/tex]. Also. Prove that the mapping from R to [tex]R_{2}[/tex] is a isomorphism.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, what did you try already and where are you stuck? Then we'll know how to help you!

I am lost totally in this question. I know i need to do this.
need to show it is closed under addition, multiplication containing identity to prove it is a subring and show that it is surjective and injective. to show that it is isomorphism.

Can you help me out in this question?

Last edited:
So, closed under addition/multiplication, what does that mean?? How would you show this?

that the part i am struck with. [tex]a+b\sqrt{2} + c+d\sqrt{2}[/tex] ? but [tex]\sqrt{2} not an integer [/tex]

dreamer.ande said:
that the part i am struck with. [tex]a+b\sqrt{2} + c+d\sqrt{2}[/tex] ? but [tex]\sqrt{2} not an integer [/tex]

You will want to write [tex]a+b\sqrt{2}+c+d\sqrt{2}[/tex] in the form [tex]e+f\sqrt{2}[/tex], since by definition, elements in R have this form.

We are not claiming that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is an integer!

how many axiom do i need to show to prove that it is a subring of a ring?
There are five axiom to show?
How to show that first axiom : containment. R belong to Z?

Can you show me the proper step of proving in such question as I always have problem in such question?

Last edited:
dreamer.ande said:
how many axiom do i need to show to prove that it is a subring of a ring?

Normally all of them. But luckily you have theorems that limit the amount of work you need to do.

A certain theorem tells you that you only need to show that R is closed under addition and multiplication, that 0 and 1 are in R, and that -a is in R for every a.

So you only need to show 5 things. However, if you did not see such a theorem, then you will need to show all the axioms!

Could you show me how to do it for the first part and I try out the second part?
Sorry, I am new to this thing. Very Confusing for me.

1. What is rings isomorphism?

Rings isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a bijective homomorphism between two rings. In simpler terms, it is a one-to-one and onto function that preserves the algebraic structure of the rings.

2. How do you prove that two rings are isomorphic?

To prove that two rings are isomorphic, you need to show that there exists a bijective mapping between the elements of the two rings that preserves the ring operations of addition and multiplication. This can be done by explicitly constructing the mapping and verifying its properties.

3. What is the significance of proving R and R2 as subrings of Z and M2(Z)?

Proving R and R2 as subrings of Z and M2(Z) allows us to establish a connection between the properties of these rings. It also helps us understand the similarities and differences between these rings, which can be useful in solving more complex mathematical problems.

4. Can rings isomorphism be applied to other types of rings?

Yes, rings isomorphism can be applied to various types of rings, such as commutative rings, integral domains, and fields. However, the specific properties and operations of each type of ring must be considered when proving isomorphism.

5. What are some real-world applications of rings isomorphism?

Rings isomorphism has many applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving mathematical problems related to group theory and abstract algebra.