Exploring Rings of Worlds: Exo-Ring Systems & Moon Rings

• Thread starter FtlIsAwesome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary: Gas planets have rings made of gas and dust. Ice rings would be found on ice planets like Uranus, Pluto, and Neptune. Rocky rings would be found on rocky planets like Earth and Venus.
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
I've been thinking about rings. More massive objects would more likely be able to have rings. I think we'll eventually find superEarths, and even subEarths, that have rings.
All the gas planets in our solar system have rings, but only Saturn has prominent ones.
Exo-ring systems could vary between faint and prominent.

I also think that moons can have rings. Currently astronomers are investigating if Rhea, moon of Saturn, has its own faint rings.

For prominent rings to be in its favor, a moon should be large, a good distance away from its parent planet, the parent planet low in mass, other moons if any not disrupting the rings, and the ringed moon not sharing a rotational or orbital resonance with any of the other moons or the parent planet. Having no other moons will also increase the chances.

The rings will need to be within the object's Hill sphere. They'll need to be outside the Roche limit unless the pieces have the required tensile strength.
My guess is that the rings will usually align with the equator. Can they be inclined relative to the equator?

Saturn's rings are icy, so for planets/moons closer to the local sun the rings will be rocky due to the increased heat.

I found this paper on the detectability of jovian planets with rings, which I only skimmed.
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0510/0510594v1.pdf

I am also interested in rocky thick rings, rings that have much larger rocks that Saturn. Like "asteroid belts" as commonly incorrectly depicted in fiction. Can rings be this way? Will an massive impact on a moon result in this?

Can multiple moons have ring systems?

Instead of a ring system, can planets have torus-shaped or spherical dust clouds?

Thoughts? Corrections?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
FtlIsAwesome said:
I've been thinking about rings. More massive objects would more likely be able to have rings. I think we'll eventually find superEarths, and even subEarths, that have rings.
All the gas planets in our solar system have rings, but only Saturn has prominent ones.
Exo-ring systems could vary between faint and prominent.

I also think that moons can have rings. Currently astronomers are investigating if Rhea, moon of Saturn, has its own faint rings.

Rhea's putative rings have since been disconfirmed. Rhea does have an oxygen atmosphere, albeit very, very thin.

For prominent rings to be in its favor, a moon should be large, a good distance away from its parent planet, the parent planet low in mass, other moons if any not disrupting the rings, and the ringed moon not sharing a rotational or orbital resonance with any of the other moons or the parent planet. Having no other moons will also increase the chances.

Actually small moons help maintain the rings - witness the various "shepherd moons" which maintain Saturn's.

The rings will need to be within the object's Hill sphere. They'll need to be outside the Roche limit unless the pieces have the required tensile strength.

Saturn's are inside the Roche Limit. An orbiting object's density has a lot to do with its fate.

My guess is that the rings will usually align with the equator. Can they be inclined relative to the equator?

No. They form due to the non-sphericity of a rotating planet. A perfectly spherical planet doesn't form rings from orbiting debris.

Saturn's rings are icy, so for planets/moons closer to the local sun the rings will be rocky due to the increased heat.

Correct.

I found this paper on the detectability of jovian planets with rings, which I only skimmed.
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0510/0510594v1.pdf

I am also interested in rocky thick rings, rings that have much larger rocks that Saturn. Like "asteroid belts" as commonly incorrectly depicted in fiction. Can rings be this way? Will an massive impact on a moon result in this?

Maybe. But only for very young rings. Eventually the chunks either accrete together as mini-moons or grind each other into smaller bits. Thus Saturn's rings.

Can multiple moons have ring systems?

Satellites of satellites are inherently unstable, thus probably don't last long enough to make rings.
Instead of a ring system, can planets have torus-shaped or spherical dust clouds?

For a while, but the debris will eventually form a ring via perturbations from the planet. Rings are the end-state of such debris clouds - the evolution sequence is...

cloud ---> torus/lens ---> rings

Thoughts? Corrections?[/QUOTE]

FtlIsAwesome said:
Oops. I was mentally thinking about moons/moonlets. The rings can be within the Roche limit, and usually are.
qraal said:
They form due to the non-sphericity of a rotating planet. A perfectly spherical planet doesn't form rings from orbiting debris.
So is there a correlation between the planet's oblateness and the properties of the rings?
qraal said:
Satellites of satellites are inherently unstable, thus probably don't last long enough to make rings.
A satellite can orbit a moon if the satellite is within the moon's Hill sphere, and the moon doesn't have a orbital/rotational resonance. A satellite could orbit Earth's Moon, but because the Moon is tidally locked the satellites are perturbed.

qraal said:
Actually small moons help maintain the rings - witness the various "shepherd moons" which maintain Saturn's.
True, if we're talking about satellites of the object that has rings. But when a moon has rings, other moons of the parent planet may disturb the rings, especially if there's an orbital resonance like 3 of the Galilean moons.

To the mods: Should this thread be moved to Astrophysics?

Nothing unusual about rings. All planets probably have rings, some more pronounced than others.

I find your thoughts on exploring rings of worlds and exo-ring systems to be intriguing. You have brought up some interesting points and questions about the potential for rings around different objects in our universe.

I agree that more massive objects have a higher likelihood of having rings, as we have seen with the gas planets in our own solar system. It is certainly possible that we will discover superEarths and subEarths with rings in the future.

The fact that only Saturn has prominent rings among the gas planets in our solar system is an interesting observation. I also agree that exo-ring systems could vary in their prominence, with some being faint and others being more prominent.

Your thoughts on moons having rings are also valid, as we have seen with Rhea, a moon of Saturn. It is important to consider factors such as the size and distance of the moon from its parent planet, as well as any potential disruptions from other moons or orbital resonances.

I am also interested in the possibility of inclined rings, as well as the composition of rings around planets closer to their local sun. Your mention of a paper on the detectability of jovian planets with rings is also intriguing and I will have to take a closer look at it.

Your idea of rocky thick rings, similar to asteroid belts, is an interesting concept. It is certainly possible that a massive impact on a moon could result in such a ring system. It is also possible for multiple moons to have ring systems, although it may be more complex and depend on various factors.

Your question about torus-shaped or spherical dust clouds as an alternative to ring systems is also thought-provoking. While it is possible for planets to have such formations, I believe it would depend on the specific conditions and environment of the planet.

Overall, I appreciate your thoughts and questions on this topic. It is clear that there is still much to be explored and discovered when it comes to rings of worlds and exo-ring systems. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

1. What is an exo-ring system?

An exo-ring system refers to a collection of rings surrounding a planet or other celestial object, located outside of our solar system. These rings are made up of tiny particles of dust and ice, and are held in place by the gravitational pull of the planet.

2. How common are exo-ring systems?

While exo-ring systems have not been extensively studied, they are believed to be fairly common in our galaxy. In our own solar system, Saturn is the only planet with significant ring systems, but recent discoveries have shown that exo-ring systems may be more abundant than previously thought.

3. Can exo-ring systems support life?

It is unlikely that exo-ring systems could support life on their own, as they lack the stable and habitable conditions necessary for life to exist. However, these systems can provide valuable clues and insights into the formation and evolution of planets and their moons, which are potential habitats for life.

4. How do scientists study exo-ring systems?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study exo-ring systems, including direct imaging with telescopes, analyzing light data to detect changes in brightness and composition, and studying the effects of the rings on the host planet's orbit. These methods can provide valuable information about the size, composition, and dynamics of the rings.

5. What is the significance of moon rings?

Moon rings, also known as "rings of moons", are rings of small moons that orbit around a larger moon or planet. These rings can reveal important information about the formation and evolution of the host object, and can also provide clues about the potential for habitable environments on the moons themselves.