Ringworld Movie: Sci Fi Channel Announces Adaptation

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the Sci Fi Channel has announced a movie based on Niven's Ringworld, a beloved sci-fi book. There is also discussion of Jenning's Aztec potentially being made into a miniseries. Some people have compared Ringworld to "The Wizard of Oz" and Niven has not denied the similarities. The conversation also touches on the idea of connecting Dark Side of the Moon to Ringworld.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just announced that the Sci Fi Channel is making a movie based on Niven's Ringworld - one of my all time favorite sci fi books. Yay!

I think Jenning's Aztec would make a great miniseries as well. I always expected to see this happen but oh well, at least they finally got around to Ringworld.

Anyone ever read The Shottle Bop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ringworld could by very groovy if done well.

Adam said:
Ringworld could by very groovy if done well.

Somebody once claimed that the plot of Ringworld is just "The Wizard of Oz" in disguise, with detailed analysis of all the main characters. And Niven didn't deny it!

Fair enough. Well, I've read Harry Potter in a dozen different books too, but I still enjoyed it.

selfAdjoint said:
Somebody once claimed that the plot of Ringworld is just "The Wizard of Oz" in disguise, with detailed analysis of all the main characters. And Niven didn't deny it!

WHAT! That sneeky devil.

Does this mean that Dark Side of the Moon goes with Ringworld as well? Just start the music when you see the copyright?

1. What is the "Ringworld" movie about?

The "Ringworld" movie is an adaptation of Larry Niven's science fiction novel of the same name. It follows a group of explorers who discover a massive artificial ring-shaped world orbiting a distant star.

2. When will the "Ringworld" movie be released?

As of now, there is no official release date for the "Ringworld" movie. However, the Sci Fi Channel has announced that development has begun and more information will be released as it becomes available.

3. Who is involved in the production of the "Ringworld" movie?

The "Ringworld" movie is being produced by the Sci Fi Channel, with Larry Niven serving as a creative consultant. No casting decisions have been announced yet.

4. Will the "Ringworld" movie follow the same story as the book?

While the movie is based on the book, there may be some changes made to adapt the story for the screen. However, the overall plot and themes of the book will likely remain intact.

5. What can fans of the book expect from the "Ringworld" movie?

Fans of the book can expect a visually stunning adaptation with a focus on the science fiction elements and exploration of the Ringworld. The movie will also likely delve deeper into the characters and their motivations.