Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rio 2016

1. Jul 28, 2016 #1
    The Olympic games in Rio will start soon. Will you be watching them? What are your favourite disciplines?
    I'm not sure how many sports will I be able to watch due to different time zones. But If I get the chance, I like watching gymnastics and I'm interested in trampolining and BMX which are disciplines that I've never seen before. But basically, I'll watch any sport except for equestrian (I'm always sorry for the poor horses!) and collective games and golf that I don't find very interesting.
    Here's the list of disciplines http://www.aboutbrasil.com/modules/brazil-brasil/what_to_do_brazil_brasil.php?hoofd=4&sub=23&art=234
    Feel free to discuss anything concerning the Games here

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here are my four suggestions for improving the Olympics:

1) Swimming must be massively reformed. Far too many events with the same competitors in each. The number of gold medals available to the top swimmers is out of all proportion to other sports.

2) Teams sports like football should share 1 gold medal. Each of the winning football squad, which has 22 players, gets a gold medal. That's as many as all the individual athletics events. One medal between them would be fairer.

3) The equestrian events could stay only if the horses get the medals.

4) All the "artistic" events should be judged solely on technical and execution scores. The gymnastics has done this and is massively better as a result. Gone are the days of the perfect 10 and all the ridiculous subjective marking. The ice skating in the winter Olympics is a nonsense, with the top competitors being judged more by how good the judges believe them to be, rather than how well they perform.

4. Jul 29, 2016 #3
    I don't really follow most of the sports played in the Olympics, but I'll still try to watch it all. Mainly I'm waiting for lawn tennis. The athletics events seem very impressive to me and I try to see as much of it as possible. There are some concerns over security and organization, hope it all works out (wouldn't want something like Munich '72 to happen) :nb)
    I was wondering about this. When they count the medal tally of countries, do they add 22 gold medals to the winning team's country? Because that doesn't seem fair either :confused:
    And I don't really think horses care about medals; maybe something else for the winners :oldlaugh:

5. Jul 29, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It counts as one. And beside the fact that it costs gold there are no further effects, so I don't bother. I mean, people eat gold! What a waste!
    Often they get a kind of wreath. But they usually don't look like a healthy food though.

6. Jul 30, 2016 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know. This year's olympics has different categories that I will be following: the amount of floating garbage or human feces that we will be shown, the number of mugging or robberies on the athletes (we already have at least one right now), the number of complaints about the athletes' accommodations, etc..... Y'know, the usual stuff!

Zz.

7. Jul 30, 2016 #6

Evo

I don't watch the Summer Olympics. I might watch a few things in the winter like ice skating.

8. Jul 30, 2016 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I figured you may be taking part in them. :oldbiggrin:

Oh wait. You're one of the Judges. :oldwink:

Well, you should at least take a peek. However, I agree that the Winter Olympics events are much more fun to watch. :oldlove:

9. Jul 31, 2016 #8
  10. Jul 31, 2016 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and a bomb detonated overnite in the stadium

an untended toolbox was found .... when police used a bomb disposal robot to check it
    the toolbox exploded on contact

Dave

11. Jul 31, 2016 #10
  12. Jul 31, 2016 #11
  13. Aug 1, 2016 #12

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

This is false. Standard operating procedure to dispose of a suspicious package is to explode it in case it is a bomb, which is what happened in this case:
    http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/07/31/controlled-explosion-rio-maracana-stadium-olympic-games

The toolbox did not explode on its own, it was detonated by security. There is no evidence that it was anything more than a misplaced toolbox.

14. Aug 1, 2016 #13

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

maybe, maybe not your media source could be just as wrong as my media source :wink::wink: :rolleyes:

it's extremely difficult to get a straight story out of any media these day

D

15. Aug 1, 2016 #14

Evo

16. Aug 1, 2016 #15
    Well for that matter did Tony Blair bribe them to get London ones?
    Did Putin bribe anyone to get the recent winter olympics?

17. Aug 1, 2016 #16

fresh_42

Just heard in the news. Athletes whose disciplines are in open waters are requested not to swallow water because of a too high rate of germs.
    Not quite easy on long distance swimming competitions. Good luck, folks!

18. Aug 5, 2016 #17

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Budget overruns, collusion with authoritarian regimes, corruption and sometimes even bribery is nothing new.
    http://www.pbs.org/program/nazi-games-berlin-1936/

19. Aug 9, 2016 #18
    The media is definitely stirring up drama with the whole US swimmer King vs Russia and Phelps vs The South African swimmer. I kinda like it though. :D

20. Aug 9, 2016 #19

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now a host on Russian TV has tried to compare "cupping" with meldonium, one of the banned substances. Despite the fact that I seriously doubt that the practice has anything more than a placebo effect, it is a bit of a stretch to compare it to putting a foreign substance in your body. At best, it is a type of physical therapy like massage.

21. Aug 10, 2016 #20

Astronuc

A glimmer of hope :smile:
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/e...omplicated-koreas-rivalry-162229503--spt.html

May there be peace and harmony.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted