Riots on the streets of London

1. cristo

cristo 8,412
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know how much international press coverage this is getting, but tonight is the third night in a row of rioting in London. It started on Saturday night in a small area of north London after a peaceful protest against a police shooting turned ugly. Each night since then things have got worse and become more and more widespread, with what can only be described as thugs burning police cars, buildings, shops, buses and looting. Parts of the capital now look like a war zone, and the metropolitan police have lost control. The prime minister and other members of the cabinet are even cutting short their holiday to return to the UK to try and sort this mess out.

These scenes are disgusting, and while the original action of a peaceful protest may have been somewhat justified, people are just jumping on the bandwagon and taking advantage of the opportunity to be violent. It's pretty embarrassing, and saddening that this is the mentality of British youth.

Here's a BBC link, though I'm sure there are many other out there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248.

2. jcsd
  3. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,133
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

I've been watching. A protest is one thing but the destruction in pitiful.

I feel for you cristo.

4. Evo

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. mheslep

mheslep 3,531
    Gold Member

Any comment on why you believe this was allowed to happen by the police?

6. cristo

cristo 8,412
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't think they really had a choice. From what I'm seeing on the news the scenes are the same in many areas across the city, and in other cities in the UK. The metropolitan police doesn't have enough officers to cope with such widespread idiocy. I wouldn't be surprised if the army was on the streets tomorrow night.

7. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,133
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

This really tells it all when it comes to the police there. They are doing their best.

[​IMG]

8. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Just want to make a quick comment that in my city of Milwaukee, we've been having problems with youths organizing violent mobs via social media. At our 4th of July fireworks we had a mob destroy a 7-11 and then proceed to beat up 20-30 firework watchers. Also just last week we had a mob of 200 youths causing mayhem at our state fair which sent 30 to the hospital. It's a huge issue here. Social media is rearing it's ugly head.

9. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,133
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

WTF. At least in the '70s there was a reason to protest. What can we do to stop this sort of thing? It's giving the internet a bad name.

10. Ryan_m_b

Last night I was out celebrating with friends that we had handed in our masters thesis. We went from Hamstead (up market, quiet place) towards Euston (central) to get some food. Along the way all the restaurants and shops had closed up early. We eventually went into a fast food place and in 10 minutes yobs on the street started hurling bottles at the windows, some of which flew through the open door and smashed. They ran off quickly and we decided to call it a night, at that point though I got a call from a friend saying he was in Camden (on my route home) telling me to find another way because people were smashing up shops and running around like crazy.

It's very sad. All day people have been on the news talking about the reasons and the academic politics they think are behind it. Personally I think it's just mob mentality that has spread due to social media. Originally there was a protest that turned violent, that attracted more people and that inspired more riots elsewhere. These are mindless thugs who are only out to steal and fight.

11. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

It's becoming a widespread problem. Philly now has problems too.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14466369

12. dlgoff

dlgoff 3,133
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

I saw this on TV this morning here. This bothers me, but if that's what it takes, okay?

13. Evo

14. Evo

15. These events don't reflect the mentality of British youth. The participants come from poor neighborhoods and are mostly black, which also has an influence.

16. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,362
    Gold Member

I just hope it's wrapped up in the next two weeks - when I head to London for a week.

17. Ryan_m_b

Don't even try to suggest that this is racial. The problem here is opportunistic crime caused by mob mentality facilitated by social media, nothing else.

18. Of course I can't suggest this is racial, race is out of the question in any debate. But there are other reasons too, for example the fact that the suburban culture on poor neighborhoods isn't the best.

19. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,362
    Gold Member

I think you're missing the point.

It may be poor and underprivileged that are rioting - because they may have reason to.

But being black is not reason for rioting. Correlation does not imply causation. The colour of their skin or their heritage does not affect their tendency to riot.

20. I don't think there's any reason that's good enough to do what they're doing, and that argument is a cliche when justifying minorities' actions. Poor education and poverty are important factors of course, but there are also other factors there are overlooked. For example, many portuguese immigrants have mediocre jobs in many countries, and most have poor education, but they're known for not causing any troubles. They'd never do anything like this, even though the poverty levels and education aren't great. The same applies to immigrants from other european countries and asian immigrants. Given the same poverty and education levels, immigrants from Africa cause way more crime.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  21. Astronuc

It's not the internet or social media per se, but the ability to communicate instantaneously, as one could do with cell phones or walkie-talkies, which allow coordinated action. Any group could use the same technology, for different purposes. Folks have a choice to be productive/beneficial or destructive. And we're witnessing destructive behavior facilitated by available technology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?