News Riots on the streets of London

• Thread starter cristo
  • Start date

DevilsAvocado

Gold Member
When the cat's away the mice will play...

Britain's most senior police officer, the head of London's Metropolitan Police, Paul Stephenson has resigned following claims relating to the phone hacking scandal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olpm5mdBJMw

Don’t know the significance of this, some say it matters, some say it doesn’t...

Last edited by a moderator:

mheslep

Gold Member
Let us also remember that just several days before the riots England experienced the biggest wave of strikes since 1980s. The strikes and riots show deep dissatisfaction that people have.
Or it shows the sense of dependence on the state (the strikes were all public sector) and depravity (in the case of the riots) some people have.

vici10

Or it shows the sense of dependence on the state
And who is independent of the state?

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Perhaps he means 'dependence on government employment as opposed to private sector'?

mheslep

Gold Member
I'm guessing that was a hook for the false dilemma fallacy: if one is against the leviathan state then one must be for anarchy. But if I guessed wrong about your question, then I meant the people that went on strike were dependent on the state for their jobs and their guaranteed pensions, a guarantee largely not available in the private sector. In that context, employment, everyone who does not work for the state is independent of it.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Personally, I think Pat Condell has the best take on this criminal, pampered scum who has absolutely nothing to complain about, but solely should be ashamed of themselves of choosing to be disgusting, unemployable models of subhumanity, rather than aspiring to what they, as everyone else, are fully capable of:
http://www.youtube.com/user/patcondell#p/a/u/0/9pAC0YSmK0g

vici10

In that context, employment, everyone who does not work for the state is independent of it.
I would add that not only those who are employed dependent on these jobs. Every student who goes to public school, every student who goes to publicly funded University, patients in the public hospitals, companies that use results of government funded research and many many others are depended on the jobs of public workers.

mheslep

Gold Member
Condell said:
Everyone connected with this riot, anyone convicted of taking part in this riot would automatically lose entitlement to state benefit for life and they would have their house demolished. Now that would be justice. And if it violated their human rights, so much the better.
Good start.

Personally, I think Pat Condell has the best take on this criminal, pampered scum who has absolutely nothing to complain about, but solely should be ashamed of themselves of choosing to be disgusting, unemployable models of subhumanity, rather than aspiring to what they, as everyone else, are fully capable of:
http://www.youtube.com/user/patcondell#p/a/u/0/9pAC0YSmK0g
So what is your solution to the problem?

Good start.
So what would homeless penniless and convicted people do with themselves? Hmmm... lets see... they really would be unemployable then so they'd have to beg, steal or die.

Chances are, if they're willing to loot and riot, then they'd go for the stealing.

Suddenly the idea of cutting all their benefits and housing seems utterly stupid! Unleash the new wave of criminals who really do have nothing to lose.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So what is your solution to the problem?
Fire all cultural Marxists who have, over the decades, poisoned the social services with their pestilential sympathies to "the poor" that these really "deserve" a larger share of the societal pie.
Instate persons to such services who are willing to CONDEMN "the poor", in their face, of their whining, self-pity and ugly envy, rather than encouraging such vile personality traits.
"The poor" should act in a GRATEFUL, HUMBLE manner to the society which gives them money to live of, free of charge.
And it is precisely the front line, the social workers, who should force these individuals to develop that morally appropriate attitude.

Last edited:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So basically you're idea is that rioters should be murdered.
That is, indeed, the proper meaning of "riot control", once warnings to that effect have been issued.
Noone forces them to be thugs; it is their own choice to be despicable scum.

mheslep

Gold Member
So what would homeless penniless and convicted people do with themselves? Hmmm... lets see... they really would be unemployable then so they'd have to beg, steal or die.

Chances are, if they're willing to loot and riot, then they'd go for the stealing.

Suddenly the idea of cutting all their benefits and housing seems utterly stupid! Unleash the new wave of criminals who really do have nothing to lose.
That implies the "there's no choice, no opportunity" fallacy. For appropriate ridicule of that notion see the Condel video again, and again.

Furthermore if from the events in Britain there are those for whose plight I should be concerned, it will first be those that were assaulted, had their homes or businesses burned, or were terrorized off the streets, not rioters and arsonists.

Last edited:
arildno & mheslep

*sigh* I'm thankful neither of you are from the UK... you're entitled to your views but please keep them in your respective countries. :P

mheslep

Gold Member
arildno & mheslep

*sigh* I'm thankful neither of you are from the UK... you're entitled to your views but please keep them in your respective countries. :P
Back at ya.

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member
Apparently 33% of the people in a survey said that they should use live ammunition to stop the riots, with slightly more saying that tasers and plastic bullets should be used.

I am being stopped and searched practically everywhere I go now.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Noone forces them to be thugs; it is their own choice to be despicable scum.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. If they have denied a livelihood (jobs, infrastructure) to acquire for themselves the basic necessities of life - food, shelter - then, not only are they forced to turn to violence, they are - at least in principle - right to do so since, for them, society has effectively disintegrated.

I would not have expected anyone over the age of 20 would suggest shooting them as an institutionalized solution.

Last edited:

mheslep

Gold Member
Apparently 33% of the people in a survey said that they should use live ammunition to stop the riots, with slightly more saying that tasers and plastic bullets should be used...
I think that sentiment is a natural consequence of the failure by the cops to use the normal, forceful but non-lethal riot control methods such as water cannons and rubber bullets. Take away the sense by society that there are consequences for running riot, that there is a system in place, and vigilantism comes next.

Last edited:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I wouldn't be too sure of that. If they have denied a livelihood (jobs, infrastructure) to acquire for themselves the basic necessities of life - food, shelter - then, not only are they forced to turn to violence, they are - at least in principle - right to do so since, for them, society has effectively disintegrated.

I would not have expected anyone over the age of 20 would suggest shooting them as an institutionalized solution.
1. They DO have money. It is called social benefits.
2. They have not "been denied" jobs, they have chosen to be unemployable, and it began back in their school days, where they showed utter contempt for learning etc.
3. As a last resort in riot control, using sharp weapons is indeed, the correct solution.
Defensible measures to prevent ONGOING crimes are wholly other than punishments dealt out by court for PAST crimes.
That is why, for example, a shop owner is allowed to kill an armed robber, rather than handing over to him his goods.
That is why you as an outsider has the right to prevent a man from committing a rape, even if the situation means it entails killing him.

mheslep

Gold Member
I'll go further and ask where in the developed Western world is anyone forced to go without survival food and/or housing through no fault of their own?

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I'll go further and ask where in the developed Western world is anyone forced to go without survival food and/or housing through no fault of their own?
However, what we DO have to struggle with are deeply immoral people actively encouraging "poor" people in their ideas that these are somehow "equally entitled" to the life of a millionaire..

This group of riot-inducing rabble equates quite nicely with..LEFTISTS.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
2. They have not "been denied" jobs, they have chosen to be unemployable, and it began back in their school days, where they showed utter contempt for learning etc.
Contempt?

Or hopelessness?

Is it your contention then that the country's problems only exist for those who have not completed basic education? That those who did complete it have a significantly good chance of finding work to support them and their families?

If I understand the current mood correctly, there is little hope to be had.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Contempt?

Or hopelessness?

Is it your contention then that the country's problems only exist for those who have not completed basic education? That those who did complete it have a significantly good chance of finding work to support them and their families?

If I understand the current mood correctly, there is little hope to be had.
They have social benefits and have nothing whatsoever to complain about.
They are not "entitled" to anything more than means for physical survival, because life IS a human right, that others are obliged to help them with.
Neither happiness or prosperity are qualities of life others are obliged to help them with.