Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIP: Dr. Victor A. Madsen

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the 2nd Saturday in a row I have spend at Memorial services. :cry:

Some of you may even be familiar with the work of Dr. Madsen, he was a world class theoretical Nuclear physicist. He was much more beyond that, a warm, kind man who was much appreciated by all who knew him. He had a great sense of humor, loving to play with words in at least 4 languages. I knew him from my time at the OSU Physics Dept as well as a member of the local Unitarian Universalist fellowship.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm very sorry Integral. At least you had the chance to know him.

4. Aug 2, 2008 #3
    My condolences to you as well as the family.

I was actually given a sort of "baptism"/godparent thing at the Unitarian Universalist church in Corvalllis...

5. Aug 7, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had intended to attend the memorial service, but much to my regret I was unable to do so.

I had the unique privelege of taking a guided study course with Vic, and I can honestly say that it was one of the highlights of my education. It was a senior level math methods class that wasn't available in time for me to graduate, and it just happened to focus on Vic's specialty: path integral solutions in the complex planes. Vic agreed to help me out, for which I was grateful, but I had no idea what fantastic experience it would be. Every office hour that I spent with Vic was a treat. I came to see him as one of the most talented, smartest, and nicest people that I would ever encounter, and I was right. Vic Madsen was gold. Anyone who was lucky enough to have known him is a better person for the experience. Rest in peace Vic. You were loved by all of us and you will be missed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook