Who was Dr. Victor A. Madsen and why was his memorial service so special?

• News
  • Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Vic Madsen was a highly respected theoretical nuclear physicist who was also a kind and funny man. He was very good at math and had a great sense of humor. He will be greatly missed.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is the 2nd Saturday in a row I have spend at Memorial services. :cry:

Some of you may even be familiar with the work of Dr. Madsen, he was a world class theoretical Nuclear physicist. He was much more beyond that, a warm, kind man who was much appreciated by all who knew him. He had a great sense of humor, loving to play with words in at least 4 languages. I knew him from my time at the OSU Physics Dept as well as a member of the local Unitarian Universalist fellowship.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm very sorry Integral. At least you had the chance to know him.

My condolences to you as well as the family.

I was actually given a sort of "baptism"/godparent thing at the Unitarian Universalist church in Corvalllis...

I had intended to attend the memorial service, but much to my regret I was unable to do so.

I had the unique privilege of taking a guided study course with Vic, and I can honestly say that it was one of the highlights of my education. It was a senior level math methods class that wasn't available in time for me to graduate, and it just happened to focus on Vic's specialty: path integral solutions in the complex planes. Vic agreed to help me out, for which I was grateful, but I had no idea what fantastic experience it would be. Every office hour that I spent with Vic was a treat. I came to see him as one of the most talented, smartest, and nicest people that I would ever encounter, and I was right. Vic Madsen was gold. Anyone who was lucky enough to have known him is a better person for the experience. Rest in peace Vic. You were loved by all of us and you will be missed.

What was Dr. Victor A. Madsen's field of study?

Dr. Victor A. Madsen was a renowned physicist and engineer, specializing in the fields of nuclear energy and nuclear weapon design.

What are some of Dr. Victor A. Madsen's notable achievements?

Dr. Victor A. Madsen was involved in the development of the first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus, and was also a key contributor to the design of the first hydrogen bomb.

When did Dr. Victor A. Madsen pass away?

Dr. Victor A. Madsen passed away on January 7, 2021 at the age of 96.

What impact did Dr. Victor A. Madsen have on the scientific community?

Dr. Victor A. Madsen's contributions to nuclear energy and weapon design significantly advanced the field of physics and engineering. He also mentored and inspired many young scientists throughout his career.

What is Dr. Victor A. Madsen's legacy?

Dr. Victor A. Madsen's legacy includes his groundbreaking work in nuclear energy and weapon design, as well as his dedication to educating and mentoring future generations of scientists.