Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIP: Dr. Victor A. Madsen

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the 2nd Saturday in a row I have spend at Memorial services. :cry:

Some of you may even be familiar with the work of Dr. Madsen, he was a world class theoretical Nuclear physicist. He was much more beyond that, a warm, kind man who was much appreciated by all who knew him. He had a great sense of humor, loving to play with words in at least 4 languages. I knew him from my time at the OSU Physics Dept as well as a member of the local Unitarian Universalist fellowship.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'm very sorry Integral. At least you had the chance to know him.
  4. Aug 2, 2008 #3
    My condolences to you as well as the family.

I was actually given a sort of "baptism"/godparent thing at the Unitarian Universalist church in Corvalllis...
  5. Aug 7, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had intended to attend the memorial service, but much to my regret I was unable to do so.

I had the unique privelege of taking a guided study course with Vic, and I can honestly say that it was one of the highlights of my education. It was a senior level math methods class that wasn't available in time for me to graduate, and it just happened to focus on Vic's specialty: path integral solutions in the complex planes. Vic agreed to help me out, for which I was grateful, but I had no idea what fantastic experience it would be. Every office hour that I spent with Vic was a treat. I came to see him as one of the most talented, smartest, and nicest people that I would ever encounter, and I was right. Vic Madsen was gold. Anyone who was lucky enough to have known him is a better person for the experience. Rest in peace Vic. You were loved by all of us and you will be missed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?