Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIP, George Carlin

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow. George Carlin died today at age 71, of heart failure.

I remember my brother had a recording of his "Dirty Words" routine - so shocking at the time! Yet it would seem quite mild to today's youth.

RIP, George!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2
    Yay Carlin!

4. Jun 23, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, sad to see him go. RIP George.

5. Jun 23, 2008 #4
  6. Jun 23, 2008 #5
    No. uuuhhh..... no. what just happened again?

7. Jun 23, 2008 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

RIP George!

Sure glad that we took the opertunity to see him live last fall. A great man who shared much wisdom in his humor.

8. Jun 23, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

awww, I loved him so much in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

p.s. hey, God, he was just kidding. Go easy on him, k thx bye. :)

9. Jun 23, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate to admit it, but I loved Bill and Ted.

John Edward channelling Carlin: "I am seeing the letter F...again, and again, and again..."

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  10. Jun 23, 2008 #9
    I was away from media all day yesterday, so wakeing up to this news has made me very sad. RIP Mr Carlin.

11. Jun 23, 2008 #10
  12. Jun 23, 2008 #11
    Some of his best work appeared near the end of his life imo:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Jun 23, 2008 #12
    Awwwww.... And my bro and I were just making a Carlin joke earlier today.

Bye George.

14. Jun 23, 2008 #13
    A Place For My Stuff was one of my all-time favourite routines of his. He's the sort of performer, for some reason, I didn't ever imagine wouldn't be around.

Sad news.

15. Jun 23, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, horrible to hear this. I was looking forward to hearing his latest act too. I love his routines...truly timeless jokes that get to the core of what society is all about. It's easy to write topical jokes, but takes real talent to do what he did and write jokes that remain relevant across generations.

16. Jun 23, 2008 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I remember him from 30+ years ago, and my kids grew up with him, as Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station.

He was a great social critic.

Thanks, George, RIP.

17. Jun 23, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I loved his "hippie-dippy weatherman" routine from 'way back. He'll be missed.

18. Jun 23, 2008 #17

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Carlin wasn't only hilarious, but very insightful too. That's what I loved about him. No other comedian can tell it like it is the way Carlin did.

Here's a nugget from one of his more recent HBO specials, which I'd already posted in the Favorite Quotes thread:
    "I could never understand ethnic or national pride, because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own -- not something that happens by accident of birth."

And on a more humorous note:
    "Hello, my name is George Carlin, and I am a professional comedian. As opposed to the kind you see at work all day long."

RIP, George.

19. Jun 23, 2008 #18

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

20. Jun 23, 2008 #19
    George Carlin was a very funny guy. (Seven words that got past the obsenity filter)

21. Jun 23, 2008 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I think listening to him for much of my life must have had a profound effect.
    When people ask me; "What the hell do you mean you ain't proud to be an American?"
    Om; "hmmmm..... Stating such would imply that, say I'd been born in Mexico, I should be ashamed. Let me ask you a question; Are you proud to have 5 fingers on each of your hands? What's that? You don't understand the question? ...hmmmmm....."
    ditto.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?