George Carlin Dies at 71 | Celebrating a Lasting Legacy

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary: George Carlin was a comedic genius...although I couldn't stand his stand up. :(In summary, George Carlin died today at age 71, of heart failure. He was known for his routines on topics such as religion, politics, and comedy.
arunbg said:
Always chose intelligent topics. I particularly loved "The invisible man up in the sky" gig.

heres the link: http://www.rense.com/general69/obj.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
Moridin said:
Westboro Baptist Church responds to Carlin's death.

[...] and fellow filth-monger Jerry Seinfeld.

Seinfeld? a filth-monger? ... O dear ... I didn't know Heaven was PG-TV exclusive :rofl:

moe darklight said:
Seinfeld? a filth-monger?

I think that's his word for "jew".

Moridin said:

XwCeT4dxw0o[/youtube][/QUOTE] Lets...ou can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true.

Moridin said:
Very true.

Is this the same cookie-sucker that pickets dead US soldiers funerals?

Moridin said:

My response:
Judge not or you will be judged.

I don't understand how someone can call themself a Christian yet ignore one of the most basic tenets of faith - it is not our place to judge others; esp when it comes to matters of eternity.

Speaking as a Christian, I did find some of Carlins stuff offensive. What's more, the link provided by Cyrus shows that Carlin's humor was often pedestrian. He clearly possessed the theological sophistication of a five year old. So he made childish jokes that entertained the haters of faith. But, that said, at times he was damned funny.

Cyrus said:
Is this the same cookie-sucker that pickets dead US soldiers funerals?

Yup , same dude

kaos said:
Yup , same dude

Excuses the pun but, christ!

Moridin said:

He's getting up in years too. I guess he'll find out how right or wrong he was soon enough too.

Heh, Phelps and Carlin represent the Yin and Yang of Christianity.

If the idiot pickets Carlin's funeral he may find that George's friends are not as passive as the grieving parents of slain soldiers.

Cyrus said:
Lets pray that Joe pesci straightens out this c***sucker, its amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

Cracking jokes is one thing, but most of the more 'serious' people that seem to be filled with hate and discrimination, are the religious fundamentalists themselves.

edward said:
If the idiot pickets Carlin's funeral he may find that George's friends are not as passive as the grieving parents of slain soldiers.

That same "church" picketed the funeral of a soldier that grew up here in Chattanooga. Let's just say that it at all didn't help the head count of those attending their cyclic rituals.

B. Elliott said:
Cracking jokes is one thing, but most of the more 'serious' people that seem to be filled with hate and discrimination, are the religious fundamentalists themselves.

Yes, this has been my point about all of these types: They are antithetical to their own alleged philosophy. From my point of view, this guy has more in common with the Grand Wizard of the KKK, than he does Christian philosophy or beliefs. The essential message of Christinity is Love - love God, and love all other people, including your enemies. Any message to the contrary is by definition not a Christian message.

In very literal terms, many fundamentalists are in fact followers of the old Testament, which predates Christianity, and is, according to Christinity, null and void. So in spite of what they say to the contrary, their message does not meet the technical definition of Christianity. They are following the creed of Pre-Christians.

This is why, for example, as a Catholic kid, I wasn't taught that I would go to hell for shaving. And indeed, we see many well shaved Christians of all creeds.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, this has been my point about all of these types: They are antithetical to their own alleged philosophy. From my point of view, this guy has more in common with the Grand Wizard of the KKK, than Christian philosophy or beliefs. The essential message of Christinity is Love - love God, and love all other people, including your enemies. Any message that violates this message is, by definition, not a Christian message.

Excellent point. I also wish more religious people out there followed the school of thought.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, this has been my point about all of these types: They are antithetical to their own alleged philosophy. From my point of view, this guy has more in common with the Grand Wizard of the KKK, than he does Christian philosophy or beliefs. The essential message of Christinity is Love - love God, and love all other people, including your enemies. Any message to the contrary is by definition not a Christian message.

In very literal terms, many fundamentalists are in fact followers of the old Testament, which predates Christianity, and is, according to Christinity, null and void. So in spite of what they say to the contrary, their message does not meet the technical definition of Christianity. They are following the creed of Pre-Christians.

This is why, for example, as a Catholic kid, I wasn't taught that I would go to hell for shaving. And indeed, we see many well shaved Christians of all creeds.

Ultimately though, then it becomes whose interpretation of religion is right. Yours, or mine? I say I am more christian than you. You say I am not a true christian. The argument is tautological.

Cyrus said:
Ultimately though, then it becomes whose interpretation of religion is right. Yours, or mine? I say I am more christian than you. You say I am not a true christian. The argument is tautological.

Actually, from a technical pov, I don't think that is true. It may be true if a person defines religion by his own preferences, but there are specific concepts that are either accepted or not. In other words, there are a million arguments to be made about interpretations of scripture, but there are still logical boundaries within any doctrine. Beyond that you can call a religion whatever you want - Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, or Voodoo for that matter - but that doesn't make it so. There is no way to logically justify the selling of hate within the context of Christianity. It is antithetical by definition. It may be that people have done this for centuries, but we find crackpots, power mongers, and hate mongers, in all walks of life.

I was listening to a few interviews with Carlin, and one thing that came out is that he wasn't really against the idea of an afterlife - a continuation of some kind - it seems that he just objected to the traditional old man with a beard.

Something else caught my ear as I have made the same argument. Loosely quoted, he asked why it is that when some UFO believer talks, people tend to laugh, but when a religious person talks, people tend to act with reverence. Which is the more likely of the two; UFOs [ET vehicles] or God?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Actually, from a technical pov, I don't think that is true. It may be true if a person defines religion by his own preferences, but there are specific concepts that are either accepted or not. In other words, there are a million arguments to be made about interpretations of scripture, but there are still logical boundaries within any doctrine. Beyond that you can call a religion whatever you want - Christianity, Islam, Hindu, or Voodoo - for that matter, but that doesn't make it so.

Sure its true. Catholic or Christian. Now, both a basically the 'same thing' but a Catholic and a Christian DONT believe in the same things. Its exactly all these variations that lead to different subsets of religions. Sunni v. Shiite. And ask both sides and they will both give you the same answer. THEY are the ones with the correct version. Its the OTHER guy that has bastardized the religion.

I was listening to a few interviews with Carlin, and one thing that came out is that he wasn't really against the idea of an afterlife - a continuation of some kind - it seems that he just objected to the traditional old man with a beard.

Well, I wouldn't be against the idea of an afterlife either. I don't think any sane person would be. But that does not mean there actually is one, or that there are religious conditions as to how that afterlife will be (Heaven or hell) based on how you live while alive. But without any form of proof of its existence, this is merely an idea.

Something else caught my ear as I have made the same argument. Loosely quoted, he asked why it is that when some UFO believer talks, people tend to laugh, but when a religious person talks, people tend to act with reverence. Which is the more likely of the two; UFOs [ET vehicles] or God?

I think that's a fair statement. Although, I think people should tend to laugh at both because most people claiming to see UFOs are quacks as well with no real proof of anything. I like how sagan addressed this in COSMOS, saying where is one single shred of evidence from all these UFO people?

Cyrus said:
Sure its true. Catholic or Christian. Now, both a basically the 'same thing' but a Catholic and a Christian DONT believe in the same things.

Frankly, you are arguing nonsense. Catholics are Christians. You don't know what you're talking about. But I will say no more as this has gone farther than was intended.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

Ivan Seeking said:
Frankly, you are arguing nonsense. Catholics are Christians. You don't know what you're talking about. But I will say no more as this has gone farther than was intended.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

Not really. Yeah, I know catholics are christians. I should have made that more clear. Perhaps the better word would have been denominations?

I'd like to know exactly what part of what I said you think is 'nonsense' though.