RIP Ginger Baker

• News
  • Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

BWV
Ginger was a jazz drummer at heart

I saw Cream play at some auditorium in LA back in about 1967. A memorable performance, to be sure. Many classics came out of that band: "Sunshine of Your Love," "White Room," and my favorite, "Crossroads."

Not much later, Baker and Eric Clapton were part of Blind Faith, along with Steve Winwood and Ric Grech. I still love "Can't Find My Way Home."

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You heard Cream live? I’m jealous (although I was rather young at the time)...

You heard Cream live?
Yep. And at a different concert about the same time, I saw Jefferson Airplane and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's band) at the same time.
I saw the Rolling Stones live in '64 on their first American Tour- Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino.
marcusl said:
although I was rather young at the time
I was younger myself, back then :oldbiggrin:

Ginger was a jazz drummer at heart
Thanks for that link, I don't think I have seen that before.

pinball1970
Gold Member
Yep. And at a different concert about the same time, I saw Jefferson Airplane and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's band) at the same time.
I saw the Rolling Stones live in '64 on their first American Tour- Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino.

I was younger myself, back then :oldbiggrin:
Cream the Stones Janis Joplin and Jefferson airplane? That is some résumé.
I liked Cream, Wheels of Fire was the one with 'In the city of the deserted heart,' I think that is still my favourite.

Cream the Stones Janis Joplin and Jefferson airplane? That is some résumé.
And Hot Tuna (Jorma Kaukonen & Jack Cassidy, both formerly in Jefferson Airplane) sometime in the 80s, and Dire Straits in '92.

BWV
This is a great documentary

and apparantly the full movie is on Youtube:

pinball1970
Gold Member
"Mick Jagger is “a musical moron”. Hawkwind’s music “was ****ing appalling”. And rock stars? “****ing idiots, most of them.” How to win friends with the late, great Ginger Baker"

https://www.loudersound.com/features/ginger-baker-interview-an-afternoon-with-the-worlds-most-irascible-drummer
He said that Bonham, 'Could Not swing for sh**,' I love the studio Zep but was not keen on the live stuff. Ian Paice was always number one in terms of technique, far better that either Bonham or Baker. Difference is that Paice was a gent and gave Bonham his dues.
I love certain cream tracks but Jack Bruce was the real musician for me. As a unit they were great.

Did he mention Keith Moon? I saw The Who in 1973 (?) and the Moon / Entwhistle performance was wild, I remember it like yesterday. Oh yeah, I couldn't hear anything but a loud hissing noise for 2 1/2 days after that show.

I always liked Ginger Baker in Blind Faith