RIP Ginger Baker: Tributes from Paul McCartney, Flea & More

• News
  • Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary: Cream. He was a jazz drummer at heart. Mick Jagger is “a musical moron”. Hawkwind’s music “was ****ing appalling”. And rock stars? “****ing idiots, most of them.” How to win friends with the late, great Ginger Baker"In summary, Ginger Baker was a jazz drummer at heart and he enjoyed seeing Cream and Jefferson Airplane live. He also had great things to say about Keith Moon and The Who.
Physics news on Phys.org
Ginger was a jazz drummer at heart

Likes gmax137
I saw Cream play at some auditorium in LA back in about 1967. A memorable performance, to be sure. Many classics came out of that band: "Sunshine of Your Love," "White Room," and my favorite, "Crossroads."

Not much later, Baker and Eric Clapton were part of Blind Faith, along with Steve Winwood and Ric Grech. I still love "Can't Find My Way Home."

Likes pinball1970, BWV and marcusl
You heard Cream live? I’m jealous (although I was rather young at the time)...

marcusl said:
You heard Cream live?
Yep. And at a different concert about the same time, I saw Jefferson Airplane and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's band) at the same time.
I saw the Rolling Stones live in '64 on their first American Tour- Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino.
marcusl said:
although I was rather young at the time
I was younger myself, back then :oldbiggrin:

Likes pinball1970 and marcusl
BWV said:
Ginger was a jazz drummer at heart
Thanks for that link, I don't think I have seen that before.

Mark44 said:
Yep. And at a different concert about the same time, I saw Jefferson Airplane and The Holding Company (Janis Joplin's band) at the same time.
I saw the Rolling Stones live in '64 on their first American Tour- Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino.

I was younger myself, back then :oldbiggrin:
Cream the Stones Janis Joplin and Jefferson airplane? That is some résumé.
I liked Cream, Wheels of Fire was the one with 'In the city of the deserted heart,' I think that is still my favourite.

pinball1970 said:
Cream the Stones Janis Joplin and Jefferson airplane? That is some résumé.
And Hot Tuna (Jorma Kaukonen & Jack Cassidy, both formerly in Jefferson Airplane) sometime in the 80s, and Dire Straits in '92.

This is a great documentary

and apparently the full movie is on Youtube:

Spinnor said:
"Mick Jagger is “a musical moron”. Hawkwind’s music “was ****ing appalling”. And rock stars? “****ing idiots, most of them.” How to win friends with the late, great Ginger Baker"

https://www.loudersound.com/feature...ernoon-with-the-worlds-most-irascible-drummer
He said that Bonham, 'Could Not swing for sh**,' I love the studio Zep but was not keen on the live stuff. Ian Paice was always number one in terms of technique, far better that either Bonham or Baker. Difference is that Paice was a gent and gave Bonham his dues.
I love certain cream tracks but Jack Bruce was the real musician for me. As a unit they were great.

Did he mention Keith Moon? I saw The Who in 1973 (?) and the Moon / Entwhistle performance was wild, I remember it like yesterday. Oh yeah, I couldn't hear anything but a loud hissing noise for 2 1/2 days after that show.

I always liked Ginger Baker in Blind Faith

What is the significance of Ginger Baker in the music world?

Ginger Baker was a highly influential and innovative drummer, best known for his work with the bands Cream and Blind Faith. He is considered one of the pioneers of the rock drumming style and has influenced countless drummers and musicians.

What were some of Ginger Baker's most notable contributions to music?

Some of Ginger Baker's most notable contributions to music include his use of double bass drums, his incorporation of jazz and African rhythms into rock music, and his unique and powerful drumming style that helped define the sound of 60s and 70s rock music.

How did Ginger Baker's death impact the music community?

Ginger Baker's death was met with an outpouring of tributes and condolences from musicians and fans around the world. Many artists credited him as a major influence on their own musical careers and expressed their gratitude for his contributions to the music world.

What was Ginger Baker's legacy in the music industry?

Ginger Baker's legacy in the music industry is one of innovation, influence, and talent. He helped shape the sound of rock music and left a lasting impact on the drumming community. He will always be remembered as one of the greatest drummers of all time.

How can fans honor Ginger Baker's memory?

Fans can honor Ginger Baker's memory by listening to his music, sharing his work with others, and continuing to appreciate and celebrate his contributions to the music world. They can also support charities and organizations that were important to Ginger Baker, such as the Drummers Against War organization.